planning on making a keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edbert

Reaction score
I know that a 7 ft model chest freezer is more than large enough but cannot find out if the 5 cubic foot ones can accommodate three cornies and a 20 pound (too tall to use the hump) co2 tank or not. What about 2 kegs plus tank?

The 7 are cheap enough so it is not a money issue. I just don't see me having more than two or three brews on tap at any time and would like the space and portability.

Thanks!

The cornies are 9 inches in diameter. Will have to measure my tank but it is about the same. So any chest freezer with a 20 20 bottom not counting the hump should work.

Build a collar and plumb the co2 through it so you can use the room for a keg and not to cool co2.

My first keezer was a 5.5 cf freezer (I think it was GE brand). I built a new lid that was about 10" tall and was able to put 3 kegs and a 20# co2 tank inside. It was a little snug, but it worked pretty well. I would recommend buying a larger freezer than you think you need. You'll probably want it later, and if you don't, it's nice to have elbow room.

Thanks for the replies all.

So is there a reason to have the tank outside other than space? With a full 20 pounder of steel there's a LOT of weight to be hung on the side...and sitting on the floor is a bit ghetto.

I looked at that link...just what I needed and sorta makes me agree with Mason to just get the 7.

Are there any good guides for wiring up a fan and dehumidifier? I already have an ST 1000TH in a project box that I'd like to remove and integrate into the collar.

So is there a reason to have the tank outside other than space?

Cons of Keeping CO2 Tank in Fridge?

Some of the things mentioned in the above thread:

Make sure it's aluminum though unless you like rust.

The only effect will be that the reg is a little slower to respond to changes. Can be a little frustrating with some regulators if you're constantly changing the pressure, because it will creep a little past where you think you set it.

Moisture/humidity corrodes insides of gauges (will here negative on this) but had to replace a few over the last 20 years and yes with proper care a reg/gauges should outlast a lifetime. Regulators hold up either way like mine where they are easy to get to without having to open refrigerated space.

masonsjax said:
The low pressure gauge works, the high pressure tank gauge is useless at any temp for co2. That's how it goes with liquid gasses.

I've learned how to read mine. Once you get an idea of what it shows when you actually are way low on co2 then you get an idea of how much (roughly) you have left.

^ True fact.

co2pv.gif

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
^ True fact. Cheers!

Very cool graph. Matches what I see at 65ish. Stays just under 800 psi. When it's starts to drop I watch closer.

Useless or just skewed to show more pressure than you have?

I was thinking of mounting it outside...could have it painted like an oxygen bottle for theme. But it is a 20 pound steel bottle that weighs close to 50 pounds when full. No fire extinguisher mount or scuba belt will hold that. Maybe just set it on the floor behind but there goes portability.

The way I read it, at 50 deg., you will read 652 PSI until you get down to about 18% full. Then pressure will drop drop until empty.

Back