Pineapple Double IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sttifyd35

Reaction score
I have a double ipa kit that i received as a gift. I am not much of a fan of ipa's, but was thinking about experimenting to be able to possibly enjoy one. I am going to try using fresh pineapple. I am going to soak the fruit in cheap vodka to kill the wild yeasts. I was told to throw the pineapple in toward the tail end of the boil. Anyone have any experience with infusing fruit in the beer?

The search function is your friend in regard for finding a best practice in regard to 'fruiting' a beer. I'm not a fruit-beer kind of guy but know the vodka treatment is marginal. I'd spray the whole fruit with star-san if I were going to worry with it then peel & disregard further treatment. I made Tepecha recently and that is how I treated it.

I clicked simply to share that I was really impressed by the beers at The Slice & Pint in ATL last summer including a pineapple IPA. So, it can be done, well!

One thing, if you're not a big IPA fan, why make the beer? I'd suggest if bitterness is the issue you can basically dump all your hops in at the end of the boil, let them steep for about 10 minutes then chill to get a moderate bitterness with big hop kick. If you don't like hop flavor, you probably will never like an IPA.

Sorry, missed where you said the IPA kit was a gift.

Use an online calculator to put in your ingredients manipulating the hop addition times to get a bitterness level you're happy with.

Also for the fruit, add it to secondar. Do not boil it you'll get pectic haze and less pineapple flavor if you do.

Ok thank you! Yeah it was a gift. So i am just trying to be able to make it and enjoy it. Ill definitely try the mesh bag in the secondary technique

What types and amounts of hops are included in the kit? If you post that we might be able to work out a better hop schedule to get good flavor and aroma and hold back on the bitterness.

Not entirely sure at the moment but its the gallon batch kit from brooklyn brewing if you know anything about them?

I add 4-5 cups of organic pineapple juice to a 5 gallon batch right before I keg. Haven't had any contamination issues and everyone loves it, even people that don't like IPAs.

So how do you i should do it for a one gallon? 1 to 2 cups? Add it in when i prime it or to a secondary?

Do you add your juice in during the boil, into a secondary, or before bottling?

I added mine at flame-out, right before a 45 minute hop stand. My reasoning was that the 190*-ish temps should re-pasteurize the juice and denature any enzymes that might hurt head retention.

The search function is your friend in regard for finding a best practice in regard to 'fruiting' a beer. I'm not a fruit-beer kind of guy but know the vodka treatment is marginal. I'd spray the whole fruit with star-san if I were going to worry with it then peel & disregard further treatment. I made Tepecha recently and that is how I treated it.

I clicked simply to share that I was really impressed by the beers at The Slice & Pint in ATL last summer including a pineapple IPA. So, it can be done, well!

One thing, if you're not a big IPA fan, why make the beer? I'd suggest if bitterness is the issue you can basically dump all your hops in at the end of the boil, let them steep for about 10 minutes then chill to get a moderate bitterness with big hop kick. If you don't like hop flavor, you probably will never like an IPA.

Yep, I basically did this with a beer I made the other day and was asking advice on. No fruit though. I took a beer that was supposed to be 70-75 IBU (kind of in the DIPA zone) and knocked it down to 30 IBU by modifying the hops schedule (same hops just all adding later). Waiting on the results and for someone else to chime in on my plan. I do not like excessive bittering but I LOVE the aromas and flavors hops can bring; lots of fruity flavors, have had some IPA's with lots of certain dry hops added., you could swear a grapefruit, passion fruit, etc. Was added but it is just from the hops!

It is probably important to ask yourself one question: what do you not like about IPA's?

Is it the hop bitterness, hop aroma, or something else? For most people that don't like IPA's the complaint is "too bitter"

If it is just the bitter you don't like, I bet the guys on here can point you in the direction of a good hops to use. I think there's a specific strain known for making pineappley flavor. Maybe Cascade or Simcoe or Citra? You may have to spend 2-4 more dollars on a pack of certain kind of hops, but could be a cool experiment!

I add 4-5 cups of organic pineapple juice to a 5 gallon batch right before I keg. Haven't had any contamination issues and everyone loves it, even people that don't like IPAs.

Chester do you get much of an increase in alcohol by doing this, as I assume the fermentable sugar in the juice will ferment in the keg? I have no clue how much fermentable sugar are in pineapple juice?

Mattsearle I dont think there is an increase in alcohol cause at this point its in my fridge and the yeast isn't active at that temp. I haven't added it during the boil because I read a lot about off flavors that can be introduced if the yeast eats all sugar from the fruit. I like that the sweet pineapple flavor balances with bitterness from the hops. I added a lot more hops in this new batch at flame out and let cool naturally down for 45 min before chilling and pitching the yeast.

Back