Help me make mead please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grasshopper5929

Reaction score
I am trying to make a summer peach pie sweeter mead. I have wine yeast currently, and am planning on adding 6 lbs of honey to 2 gallons of water, 6 lbs of fresh skinned and halved peaches, 4 grams of yeast, and 2 tsp of yeast nutrient, after initial fermentation and putting into new container, was going to add cinnamon and nutmeg to taste by soaking them in vodka. Possibly backseating if needed with brown suger, molasses, or honey. (Brown sugar or molasses for the pie flavor). I was wondering if anyone more experienced can offer advice or would do anything different.

I've made peach wine a few times and its hard to get any real peach flavor. When the sugar is fermented, you are left with a very slight acidic peach taste. Adding spices and sugar isn't going to help taste like peach pie, but it may be a flavor you like.
My 2 cents: Honey is an expensive ingredient, so make 1 gallon test batches and try different things.
Or, make a standard full strength mead, and then make a home made peach syrup by cooking peaches with sugar (many recipes on line), blend to taste "in the glass" and you'll have a peachy mead cocktail.

I've been really enjoying a local peach cider. It does not taste like peach, but it does have a slight bite that serves the same purpose as the lightly hopped cider I also enjoy. It's that bite you get if you eat too close to the stone.

@Grasshopper5929 Welcome to HBT! You are at the beginning of a great adventure.

I've made peach wine, and it has a nice peach flavor. I use 5-6 lbs. of fresh, de-stoned peaches per gallon. You also need to be careful not to add other flavors that will overpower the peach flavor. Most fruit wines are 11-12% ABV. Any higher than that and the fruit flavors tend to be obscured by the alcohol burn. They also benefit from a little backsweetening, which brings out the fruit flavors.

For a peach mead, you need to ask what sort of flavor balance you want. Do you want a strong peach flavor, with honey the background, or a honey flavor with peach notes on the background. Either one i is possible, and it will determine how much peach you add per gallon.

Another way to bring out more fruit flavor is to add some fruit in the secondary.
My 2 cents: Honey is an expensive ingredient, so make 1 gallon test batches and try different things.
This is good advice. There are many options, experiment to find out what you like.

Back