Pin lock keg help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brehuh

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got 2 coke kegs off of CL last week and they have not been used in years (~8), the guy told me. I was trying to get the posts off one of them and they wouldn't move. I was using a wrench which is a little tricky with the pins. My friend gave it a go and broke one of the pins off the liquid post! Is that post still going to work? I still have to get it off though, any suggestions?

Think I'd just buy a socket and notch it out myself. Once you get them off you'll probably never use the it again, just a small adjustable wrench will do. I have about 6 Coke kegs and I'll keep the posts lightly tighten. You should be fine with the missing pin on the liquid.

I would buy the notched socket as you're probably going to be taking these off periodically to clean the insides and/or replace/lub the o-rings. I'm not quite sure how you'd go about grinding the notches into an existing socket... Also, the cost of another pin lock is I think about $6 bucks. I like the idea of having the 2 pin/3 pin to avoid mixing the gas/liquid lines.

I have had the same problem with recovered soda pop kegs, seems the pop dries up and acts like glue. I fill the keg up with hot water, then turn upside down in the laundry sink and let soak for awhile, the heat seems to soften the dried pop, then use a notched socket wrench to loosen.

I found some notched sockets for $6 on ebay, and bought a couple. I also had some really sticky posts, but once I put it on a nice big socket wrench, they didn't seem tough at all.

If it was the three pin post you will prolly be fine. If it was the 2 pin, you may still be fine but I'd consider getting a new post.

Back