Good Aftermarket Relief Valve for Converted Pin Lock Kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I came here and whined...I mean "commented"...on 4 ball lock kegs that turned out to be pin locks. Since then, I have obtained 3 conversion kits, and they seem to fit fine, so now I am up to 4 real ball locks, 3 fake ball locks, two Torpedo Megamouths, and one Corny pin lock which is waiting for new posts.

Question: is there a good cheap aftermarket relief valve out there? Coke kegs do not have relief valves, but I like valves.

Also wondering if people want to make suggestions for other mods to the lids.

Forgot to ask: how much faith should I put in lid O-rings that don't look worn but are flat from sitting around with pressure on them? Back in my day, there was some controversy as to whether they could be saved by letting them sit around and rebound. I have picked up some new rings, but I don't want to throw out rings that can be saved.

Good question. I don't have a pat answer. If a close examination shows it's still pliable and not hardened or surface cracked it might be worth taking a good example of a flattened lid O-ring and dunk it in hot water for long enough to see if it decompresses and restores a uniform round cross section. If it doesn't I'd be inclined to at least do an inverted pressurized leak test in a bucket of water before replacing it out of hand...

Cheers!

Back