Pilsener with high Final Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbnfrance

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a Pilsener that has been fermenting now for about 3 weeks. It fermented slowly, but steadily down from OG .055 to .020 (possibly 018) but is going no further and has stayed there for 5 or 6 days now. I'm fermenting at 11 degrees, although I raised it up to 16 for a Diacetyl rest. I'm using Saflager Fermentis 34/70, and it is in a large conical with a Glycol cooling Jacket. Initially, it was very fizzy, but now that has subsided which also indicates that fermentation may have stopped. 2 days ago, I re-pitched a new batch of yeast, however, it does not seem to have changed. My plan is now to leave it for another week and then keg it and put it down to lager temps.

Am I missing something, and will it be a problem with that high Final Gravity?

Thanks

Normally, I like my pilsners at 1.008-1.012, but the style guidelines say that Bohemian pilsner is 1.013-1.017. You are right in the ballpark.

Maybe the mash temperature was a little high, and the FG just won't go any lower. That does seem likely if you've done a diacetyl rest and the gravity isn't moving.

Thanks for the reply. It's still .020 a week after pitching more yeast. Strange it won't go any lower. Mash temp was around 66 or 67c throughout. Is this too high maybe? Beer smith gave me that temp. Anyway I'm stuck with it now. It is a bohemian recipe. Do you have any experience with how it will turn out? Going to lager it for 4 weeks now. Do you think it could still be OK or is it likely to taste too sweet and weird?

Thanks

I normally get to a final gravity of 1.015 using the pilsner urquel strains. 1.020 is pretty high but after a proper lagering it will be delicious.

Back