Pictures of NEIPA's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok here's my first NEIPA
20181219_143402.jpg

It's a great picture and I'm sure the beer is good but, and don't take this the wrong way, it just looks terrible. NEIPAs are the most unappetizing looking beer there is, they make me think of something I'd drink with breakfast, not a nice refreshing beer.

It is a great picture! And I agree about the aesthetics. I've always thought they look like the part of the beer we usually leave as the trub when packaging and dump down the drain. Haha. The ole "one man's trash is another man's treasure" saying applies here I think.

It is a great picture! And I agree about the aesthetics. I've always thought they look like the part of the beer we usually leave as the trub when packaging and dump down the drain. Haha. The ole "one man's trash is another man's treasure" saying applies here I think.

Agreed. I don't get how worked up some people get about the appearance of a NEIPA. I care more about how a beer tastes than how it looks, some people certainly do not agree with that sentiment. I wonder what those folks think about a hefeweizen? Are those somehow okay?

NEIPAs have changed what I think about a beer's appearance. I now think that clear beers look gross and hazy ones look delicious. The people who think that they look gross probably havn't had any really good ones.

Agreed. I don't get how worked up some people get about the appearance of a NEIPA. I care more about how a beer tastes than how it looks, some people certainly do not agree with that sentiment. I wonder what those folks think about a hefeweizen? Are those somehow okay?
OH man I've been attacked in beer groups (not homebrew groups) on facebook for dissing anything about NEIPAs. That style definitely has some passionate followers. I guess I'd feel the need to defend my passion too if I spent $20+ on 4 pack. The price point is a little better if you just brew it yourself.

A hefe and many great IPAs have a light haze, very different than the dull opaque murkiness of many of the NEIPAs. I tapped a hefe recently, the first few pints looked like a NEIPA, they went down the sink, after that it livend up and looked amazing. It's a subtle difference but a big one for me.

NEIPAs have changed what I think about a beer's appearance. I now think that clear beers look gross and hazy ones look delicious. The people who think that they look gross probably havn't had any really good ones.

This could be it. I've had several that are supposed to be good, just didn't do it for me. Maybe I couldn't get over the visual aspect. I think my sticking point is the stories of people doing stupid things like adding flour in an attempt to achieve a certain level of clarity, or lack there of.

I'm certainly not ragging on people who like these beers, just find the appearance to be rather off putting.

It was pictures of some of your beers that got me to give the style a try, up until then it seem like people were posting pics of trub not beer.

Yeah.... I am not a proponent of the overly yeasty/trub/milky/hop particle floaties....... I am good with cloudy and hazy, but - in my opinion, chunks and sediment are a flaw which detracts from both flavor and appearance. I like my NEIPA type beers to be bright, refreshing, 5-6% ABV, low/no caramel malts and very drinkable.
In my opinion, the haze is not a goal in and of itself..... I would never add flour or similar in an attempt to make the beer "look" hazy. In my experience, the haze and cloudiness is a consequence of a slightly different process and ingredient list. It happens to be a consequence that I personally think is fine/positive in regard to appearance and drinking experience - thus, no need to attempt to change it as it seems to add a different dimension to the drinking experience as compared to a "traditional" IPA (which I also love.)

Last edited:
OH man I've been attacked in beer groups (not homebrew groups) on facebook for dissing anything about NEIPAs. That style definitely has some passionate followers. I guess I'd feel the need to defend my passion too if I spent $20+ on 4 pack. The price point is a little better if you just brew it yourself.
I've seen that sentiment too. It's ridiculous, but it is what it is. Everyone and their mother has an opinion on the neipa, and a lot of older/traditional brewers are stuck in their "clear beer is the only right way" opinion. Especially when the term IPA is associated with it. Given the evolution (and popularity) of the neipa in the last 5 years, people are much more accepting of the look. I have a friend who used to talk a lot of crap about neipas until he started working at a brewery who's flagship is a neipa. Now he posts about them non-stop. I have another friend who will only drink a hazy ipa. If it's clear, she instantly dismisses it. So, it's all a mindset.

It’s the first pour out of a keg. Hop matter and yeast. Not drinkable.

It's the juicy I like. Clear or hazy doesn't matter as much.
I did enjoy making my NEIPA, because it was different.
Since then, I only dry hop in the primary, because it's so much easier...so I owe that to the style.

bU8HLK5.jpg

Tired Hands Passionfruit Double Milkshake IPA
Semi-dark room, ~500 lumen LED light. Looks more orangey under normal indoor light.

I’ll bite
2a30c54d-5d55-4d55-9a1b-7ea1e6dc3546-jpeg.603434
^my favorite pic

The one on the left looks like one I got from a local brewery that 'specializes' in NEIPA. It tasted and had the texture of baby aspirin, very gritty and a bad orange taste.

My first attempt at a NEIPA. Deschutes Fresh Haze was the inspiration for this recipe. Pale malt, white wheat malt, and flaked oats. Summit, Mandarina Barvaria, Chinook, and Cascade hops. US05 yeast. Kegged yesterday. Getting lots of orange and citrus. This is really good.

The one on the left looks like one I got from a local brewery that 'specializes' in NEIPA. It tasted and had the texture of baby aspirin, very gritty and a bad orange taste.
I woulda asked for my money back if I was served that. Luckily the rest of the keg was decent.

My 15minute boil with galaxy Denali and simcoe

Attachments

• F1907343-626C-4AD6-85A9-F0ACA798BBFD.jpeg
    F1907343-626C-4AD6-85A9-F0ACA798BBFD.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
Here’s the same beer in drastically different lighting. Goes from looking like dingy dishwater to orange juice with some natural light. I brew my NEIPAs to end up orange usually, not a huge fan of yellow. Didn’t worry about staging these with nice backgrounds or anything, just to highlight the effects of light.
upload_2019-1-4_12-59-40.jpeg

upload_2019-1-4_13-0-1.jpeg

This beer came out like crap, but when you hold it up to the light, lo and behold!!! Looks great !
1F35E550-4637-44B5-8C50-D76004674AA8.jpeg
E5D3D59B-644C-40EE-B2F8-808623604BFF.jpeg

Back