PicoBrew Pico users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like the brewpulse app will finally be released this week.

Here are other promotions timed for this week:

Tuesday: PicoStill, a distilling attachment for the Pico Model C, will be available for pre-order on the company’s website. The attachment allows users to distill essential oils and hop oils, which can be used to enhance the aromas of beer. With the proper licenses and permitting, it can also be used to distill spirits. PicoStill can be pre-ordered for $249, or bundled with the Pico Model C for $679, and will ship in January 2018.
Wednesday: PicoFerm will be available to pre-order. This Wi-Fi connected smart fermentation device attaches to the Pico Model C keg and allows users to monitor and track a beer’s fermentation to determine when it is ready to drink. PicoFerm can be pre-ordered for $59, or bundled with an extra Pico Model C keg for $99, and will ship in November.
Thursday: PicoBrew will host a big craft beer tasting with beer industry insiders and media in the PicoBrew Tap Room with curated flights from its selection of PicoPak craft brews.
Friday: The BrewPulse mobile app will be available for free download. Users can log in while brewing with Pico and track their progress, buy additional PicoPaks and view PicoFerm fermentation data.

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/lates...cobrew-now-available-company-celebrates-week/

I wonder if the picoFerm will be usable with real/normal corny kegs.

I wonder if the picoFerm will be usable with real/normal corny kegs.

Yes, they confirmed to me there will be an adapter. A few things to be aware of, it uses pressure to monitor fermentation. So it only works with fast fermentation, it becomes the spunding valve. And since it doesn’t touch wort it doesn’t give you an actual gravity reading. It uses predicted OG and FG and pressure, it really only lets you know when fermentation has started and stopped. That should be good enough for it’s intended purpose, but for those that care about numbers this isn’t for you. I’m getting one as a reward from the Kickstarter, so I’ll update soon how it’s working.

Two basic things come to mind. The spreadsheet updates every 15 minutes, you are giving it plenty of time to refresh right? Also, the screen must be on with the app open for it to work, you can’t let the device turn off. Sorry if they are too obvious just want to make sure...

It was the i-pad kicking off. Thanks again!

FWIW, it's working inside my kegerator with a metal lid on. I have the i-pad sitting on top of the kegerator. It's taken about 20 seconds a couple of times, but usually less than a second. I'm going to let it run today to see if it ever fails but it looks promising. Used the black rubber cover for a short test, never went above a second. Definitely need to buy another one once the new pico arrives.

Old iPad. Thing has been running pretty much non stop since last October. Surprised I haven’t killed it yet.

If you have a Raspberry Pi 3 you should be able to use the built in Bluetooth radio if you don't want to have to wire up an old phone. Added advantage - you're more than 50% of the way (cost wise) to a BrewPi build if you want to go that route later as well.

Ipad, then I record it on the spreadsheet program on the Ipad. My new tilt is to arrive tomorrow.

Raspberry Pi. A Pi Zero W is very small, and it can upload the data automatically for you as well. Easily fits in a kegerator as well. Drop the power from the tap tower.

Using an old android phone that was purchased off amazon for 5 bucks. Worth every penny for a live data logger. Thought about a Pi but have several AIO pc laying around so cant see the need for another. :p

Take a look at tilt pi on the tilt website. Very easy to do and cheap.

Thanks everyone. I like the i-pad route the best but don't have an old one laying around. I think I'm going to go with a Raspberry Pi. For those that use them, pros/cons of the W vs 3? The price difference is negligible but just curious what your thoughts are.

Thanks everyone. I like the i-pad route the best but don't have an old one laying around. I think I'm going to go with a Raspberry Pi. For those that use them, pros/cons of the W vs 3? The price difference is negligible but just curious what your thoughts are.

Size, connectability, and power.... muwahahahaha.... POWER!

W
802.11 b/g/n wireless LAN
Bluetooth 4.1 (BLE)
1GHz, single-core CPU
512MB RAM
Mini HDMI and USB On-The-Go ports
Micro USB power
HAT-compatible 40-pin header
Composite video and reset headers
CSI camera connector

Quad Core 1.2GHz Broadcom BCM2837 64bit CPU
1GB RAM
BCM43438 wireless LAN and Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) on board
40-pin extended GPIO
4 USB 2 ports
4 Pole stereo output and composite video port
Full size HDMI
CSI camera connector
DSI display port for connecting touchscreen display
Micro SD port

Size, connectability, and power.... muwahahahaha.... POWER!

Sorry forgot my thoughts, since price is negligible it boils down to if you have the room or not. I like the the 3 due to the extra computing power and hardwire connections. I am not big on wireless. This will allow for it to be used for different things later if you get away from TiltPi. I have not run the OS myself so I am not sure if it will do multiple tasks at the same time. One of my Co-Workers as his 3 setup as a TV box with retro game emulators on it. Works great.

Having used both for several projects, it all comes down to what you're trying to do. The W is sufficiently fast for powering BrewPi/Fermentrack and Tilt simultaneously - as well as a number of other projects that aren't processor intensive. If you're looking to run emulators or a 3D printer on it, however, I'd go for the 3.

The real question I would ask in your case is if you need either the Ethernet port or the USB ports. If all you're running is the Tilt, then I'd go W.

Worst case you're out $10 and have a head start on your next project ;)

Yes, they confirmed to me there will be an adapter. A few things to be aware of, it uses pressure to monitor fermentation. So it only works with fast fermentation, it becomes the spunding valve. And since it doesn’t touch wort it doesn’t give you an actual gravity reading. It uses predicted OG and FG and pressure, it really only lets you know when fermentation has started and stopped. That should be good enough for it’s intended purpose, but for those that care about numbers this isn’t for you. I’m getting one as a reward from the Kickstarter, so I’ll update soon how it’s working.

Humm. Yeah, great price point. But don't know. I'll look forward to your review and comparison to the tilt. I'd like to avoid buying 4 tilts if I can, but I know they are great.

cheers,

My take is on the Pi Zero W. Even if you need/want wired network, you can get a ethernet on usb. The small footprint for me is the aim. The 3s are fine, I just find them big for this use. I feel it would be easier to put a Zero in a kegerator if you are planning to ferment lagers inside one.

My take is on the Pi Zero W. Even if you need/want wired network, you can get a ethernet on usb. The small footprint for me is the aim. The 3s are fine, I just find them big for this use. I feel it would be easier to put a Zero in a kegerator if you are planning to ferment lagers inside one.

Thanks. I think you and Thorrak are correct. For my usage, the Pi W is fine.

So far, the new tilt is working through the metal lid and the kegerator to my iPad on top of the kegerator. I'm hoping I can just put the Pi W on top also but you're right, if I can't, the smaller footprint would be easier. Thanks again.

Thanks. I think you and Thorrak are correct. For my usage, the Pi W is fine.

So far, the new tilt is working through the metal lid and the kegerator to my iPad on top of the kegerator. I'm hoping I can just put the Pi W on top also but you're right, if I can't, the smaller footprint would be easier. Thanks again.

Thanks for the info on the new tilts range. When I ferment in my chest freezer I have to use the rubber lid and airlock to get a signal. I would much rather use the metal lid and ff valve, I think that’s enough justification to buy a new tilt :D

First batch with the new tilt is brewing currently, dropped in the torpedo keg last night. Standard corny lid with FF adapter installed, Using an old Android phone to connect to the Tilt was able to get almost 2 foot away from keg before loosing connection. Have not tried it in my kegerator as it is packed up for a move. Think I will try a different device next, maybe build a BrewPi and add external antenna to it.

First batch with the new tilt is brewing currently, dropped in the torpedo keg last night. Standard corny lid with FF adapter installed, Using an old Android phone to connect to the Tilt was able to get almost 2 foot away from keg before loosing connection. Have not tried it in my kegerator as it is packed up for a move. Think I will try a different device next, maybe build a BrewPi and add external antenna to it.

2 feet is better than my old tilt can do with metal lid on. Thanks for update.

Well, sadly, my Pico C stopped functioning just a few minutes into its second batch. :( Just received two PicoPaks, and of course had to toss out the one in the machine. It seems as though the pump is not working. I definitely have my fingers crossed that it is nothing too serious, and is an easy fix. I emailed support, and am now waiting to see what the next step will be. Certainly bummed I was not able to brew as planned.

Well, sadly, my Pico C stopped functioning just a few minutes into its second batch. :( Just received two PicoPaks, and of course had to toss out the one in the machine. It seems as though the pump is not working. I definitely have my fingers crossed that it is nothing too serious, and is an easy fix. I emailed support, and am now waiting to see what the next step will be. Certainly bummed I was not able to brew as planned.

Sorry to hear that. Give support a chance, they are great and will get you taken care of.

Quick update on my experiment with tossing loose hop pellets into the serving keg and putting a filter on the dip tube. I'm happy to say it never clogged during serving and the first pint looked the same as the last. However, I did feel it picked up some grassy notes after a couple of weeks. Other than that it was a complete success.

I also just purchased a 5 cuft chest freezer and ink bird. My next IPA I'm going to try the US05 again at exactly 64F for two weeks and see if I can get a clean result.

Quick update on my experiment with tossing loose hop pellets into the serving keg and putting a filter on the dip tube. I'm happy to say it never clogged during serving and the first pint looked the same as the last. However, I did feel it picked up some grassy notes after a couple of weeks. Other than that it was a complete success.

I also just purchased a 5 cuft chest freezer and ink bird. My next IPA I'm going to try the US05 again at exactly 64F for two weeks and see if I can get a clean result.

I've been doing pretty much the same thing for close to 20 years, but I've never gotten the grassiness that some people do.

Sorry to hear that. Give support a chance, they are great and will get you taken care of.
The support has been absolutely awesome thus far, further proving the commitment to customer service that PicoBrew claims.

Any suggestions for getting coriander seed and orange peel in a pico batch? maybe put in a hop bag and toss into keg for last 10 min or so?

Any suggestions for getting coriander seed and orange peel in a pico batch? maybe put in a hop bag and toss into keg for last 10 min or so?

The Brew keg is pretty much open territory for you when the brew is going. I would make sure the bag is sealed and suspend it in the keg not just drop it in. Would hate for it to get stuck and clog the pickup tub. Let us know how it goes if you try it. I have thought about it.

Looks like the brewpulse app will finally be released this week.

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/lates...cobrew-now-available-company-celebrates-week/

Does anyone know if the app was released? I don't see it on the app store. :confused:

The Brew keg is pretty much open territory for you when the brew is going. I would make sure the bag is sealed and suspend it in the keg not just drop it in. Would hate for it to get stuck and clog the pickup tub. Let us know how it goes if you try it. I have thought about it.

Does anyone know if the app was released? I don't see it on the app store. :confused:

I agree, keg best way to do it but be careful.

Ya they sent out an email late last week, if your on their mailing list you should of got it. They said the iOS app has been submitted for approval, it should be out soon. Android coming later.

Hi all - I know this thread is a bit old but I'm hoping you can help me out!

My husband was an avid homebrewer for a while and really enjoyed it. Two-and-a-half years ago we moved to Chicago and no longer had space to brew (neither storage space nor a place to actually brew) so we sold all of our equipment and haven't brewed since. My husband really misses brewing but with a little one and still living in the city getting equipment again is simply not an option.

I stumbled upon the Pico Model C and think this may be an answer to our homebrewing woes. Does anyone have thoughts on whether or not the Pico is a worthwhile investment for former / wanna-be brewers like us? Also, in purchasing the Model C would we get everything we need? Since we sold all of our equipment we truly don't have anything left anymore and would love to not have to purchase a lot of extras to support using the Pico Model C.

Thanks for your help!

My husband was an avid homebrewer for a while and really enjoyed it. Two-and-a-half years ago we moved to Chicago and no longer had space to brew (neither storage space nor a place to actually brew) so we sold all of our equipment and haven't brewed since. My husband really misses brewing but with a little one and still living in the city getting equipment again is simply not an option.

I stumbled upon the Pico Model C and think this may be an answer to our homebrewing woes. Does anyone have thoughts on whether or not the Pico is a worthwhile investment for former / wanna-be brewers like us? Also, in purchasing the Model C would we get everything we need? Since we sold all of our equipment we truly don't have anything left anymore and would love to not have to purchase a lot of extras to support using the Pico Model C.

Thanks for your help!

Your story sounds exactly like mine! Long time brewer, got out of it due to kids and the need for space back. As you know regular brewing takes a ton of equipment, space, and time. The Pico solves all those issues. The only issue with the model C is the serving keg that is included. Most people hate it, many deal with it. It’s a great start and you can upgrade to some small ball lock kegs like their Pro upgrade kit if you can’t deal with the serving keg. You can make some great beer on the Pico, and being an experienced brewer if he follows the knowledge he has rather than the instructions it will be even better. Good luck and we’re here to help if needed!

As jrb03 has stated the pico machine itself is a great wort maker and a huge time saver. Serving kegs are a joke. I have the S model with the pro upgrade kit and love it for the small batches. Highly recommended to read through this whole post. It is long but there is a great deal of knowledge to gain from others who have already been through the trial and error stage. If you have any questions please ask. Everyone will do their best to help.

Also welcome to our community!

There's certainly an issue with their pumps. My first one's pump failed on the second brew. The second one on the 10th brew and the replacement that just arrived didn't make it through the first rinse. I'm seriously considering just getting a refund. I'll probably cool down but this is nonsense.

Thanks for your help!

Sounds a lot like me as well. Long story short, I got in on the Pico C Kickstarter, then took advantage of a few offers they put out and now essentially have the Pico Pro unit. I'm really happy with it. The automated mash function, drastically reduced level of cleaning, and overall smaller footprint fits perfectly with my lifestyle. Oh, and the beer is good!

Being experienced homebrewers, you may find the new "C" model limiting. The fermenting keg is definitely propietary (though ithas the advantage of removing the lid completely and wash in the dishwasher. The serving kegs, however, are notoriously panned. What I haven't been able to figure out is if you can rack from the C to one of ther 1.75 gallon ball lock kegs. That, of course, opens things up with regards to regulator options, etc. I'm sure Pico can answer that for you, their customer service is pretty top notch.

Apparently, a 3rd party distributor has made a bunch of Pico S models available through Costco and Sams Club at a ridiculously low price. You can give that a shot if still available.

BTW, in addition to this forum, there is a Facebook Group called "PicoBrewers" which has lots of good info and an active community.

Last edited:
The new tilt seems slower to respond to my Ipad then the old tilts. Are others finding this? Or is mine a dud? I don't really think it has much more distance either, but waiting for it to connect gets a little frustrating when my two old ones are connecting and giving me readings faster.

The new tilt seems slower to respond to my Ipad then the old tilts. Are others finding this? Or is mine a dud? I don't really think it has much more distance either, but waiting for it to connect gets a little frustrating when my two old ones are connecting and giving me readings faster.

I don't have the older version to compare the two. I have been able to ferment with the new one, in my 2.5 corny keg with metal top in to ferment under pressure, and the phone I am using be almost 2 foot away with no issues. I moved the keg to my kegerator the other night and lost connection if the phone was outside the kegerator. This was to be expected sine it is basically a giant faraday cage. I am going to experiment with a AIO PC and external antennas mounted in the kegerator soon. Hopefully to ferement under pressure and at lower temps with keg warmer.

There's certainly an issue with their pumps. My first one's pump failed on the second brew. The second one on the 10th brew and the replacement that just arrived didn't make it through the first rinse. I'm seriously considering just getting a refund. I'll probably cool down but this is nonsense.
Well, that is certainly a little off-putting. The pump failed on my Pico C during the second brew, and I actually shipped the whole machine back to Pico HQ. I hope that it is an easy repair, or the machine is replaced, and that the issue will be just a one-time event. I will honestly state that their customer service has been top notch. So much so, that I did not really even feel bad having to send the machine back. I believe that they legitimately care, and aim to solve the problem I encountered. I do hope you are able to get your machine issues resolved.

Sounds a lot like me as well. Long story short, I got in on the Pico C Kickstarter, then took advantage of a few offers they put out and now essentially have the Pico Pro unit. I'm really happy with it. The automated mash function, drastically reduced level of cleaning, and overall smaller footprint fits perfectly with my lifestyle. Oh, and the beer is good!

Being experienced homebrewers, you may find the new "C" model limiting. The fermenting keg is definitely propietary (though ithas the advantage of removing the lid completely and wash in the dishwasher. The serving kegs, however, are notoriously panned. What I haven't been able to figure out is if you can rack from the C to one of ther 1.75 gallon ball lock kegs. That, of course, opens things up with regards to regulator options, etc. I'm sure Pico can answer that for you, their customer service is pretty top notch.

Apparently, a 3rd party distributor has made a bunch of Pico S models available through Costco and Sams Club at a ridiculously low price. You can give that a shot if still available.

BTW, in addition to this forum, there is a Facebook Group called "PicoBrewers" which has lots of good info and an active community.

Thanks! Great tip - it looks like they have them at Sam's Club. I don't have a membership so I can't see the price but I'd be more than willing to guess that the cost of the membership would be worth it compared to the savings we would get. Thanks so much for all the tips, so helpful!

Thanks! Great tip - it looks like they have them at Sam's Club. I don't have a membership so I can't see the price but I'd be more than willing to guess that the cost of the membership would be worth it compared to the savings we would get. Thanks so much for all the tips, so helpful!

Costco had them as well if you are a member there.

PM me if your gonna order anything off the Picobrew website, I can send you a 15% off code, packs and all.

I just received two of the newer picopaks (Lake Michigan IPA and Netherworld). Both came with a different ale yeast and not 05 Yeah!! The yeast is Lallemand BRY-97 (West Coast Style Ale). Does any one have any experience with this yeast? If you have used it should I treat it as like 05 1/2 tsp or should I use a full tsp to pitch? Also any off flavors noticed like the 05? I have been using liquid yeast and have had favorable results.

I just received two of the newer picopaks (Lake Michigan IPA and Netherworld). Both came with a different ale yeast and not 05 Yeah!! The yeast is Lallemand BRY-97 (West Coast Style Ale). Does any one have any experience with this yeast? If you have used it should I treat it as like 05 1/2 tsp or should I use a full tsp to pitch? Also any off flavors noticed like the 05? I have been using liquid yeast and have had favorable results.

I just got a couple packs with this yeast and decided to try it. Have them fermenting now. I suspect they will be fine, doing it for research, I’m gonna keep using liquid yeast. I used about 1 tsp. 05 is really the only one I think you have to worry about over pitching and getting crappy beer.

I will be brewing Berliner Helles (S-23) and El Marron Dark (K-97) this weekend. Although I also have Lucky Envelope Helles, does this come with W-34/70?

I will be brewing Berliner Helles (S-23) and El Marron Dark (K-97) this weekend. Although I also have Lucky Envelope Helles, does this come with W-34/70?

Based on my experience, I'd encourage you to use something other than S-23. A few people have good luck with it, but many don't.

Thanks Denny, I was hoping Lucky Envelope came with 34/70 and I could use it for both Helles batches. Not home so I can't check the box, but someone said it came with WB-06, which I thought was a little weird.

Edit: Looks like they were mistaken, it does come with 34/70. Looks like a double batch weekend!

Thanks Denny, I was hoping Lucky Envelope came with 34/70 and I could use it for both Helles batches. Not home so I can't check the box, but someone said it came with WB-06, which I thought was a little weird.

IIRC, that's a German wheat yeast, so it would be weird!

I'm supposed to be receiving the Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter beta pak today to test. They want to have it out ASAP

Back