PicoBrew Pico users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m not a fan of very many “London” yeasts, especially 1968. IMO, your using the wrong strains for IPA. If you don’t want to use the Uber popular 1056, try 1450.

Or you say your happy with 1318, that’s all that matters !

Survey... curious

I've brewed 23 packs, at first they were awful because of the excessive yeast. But that all worked out. Off and on I've had problems with the machine. Several times it just seemed to get stuck in the brewing and if I restarted it worked. Shuttle pump was replaced (by me) once and then failed again and it was shipped back and they couldn't get the pump to work either but there was nothing wrong with it and that wasn't during a brewing cycle it was a cleaning cycle. Now the last was thermo block heater error. This time they are replacing the machine. Mind you it hasn't been just 3 times a few other times where it just wouldn't brew but kept pumping water and then there was the hose that didn't have a clamp on it so it kept blowing off and making a mess.

This time they replaced the machine. I can't brew yet because the machine got here faster than the packs. I am on unlimited so I only get 2 at a time. Is anyone else having that many problems? I was tempted to shoot the thing a couple of months ago. I will feel much more confident if no one else has had problems. Not that I've given up, just ordered more kegs... and I would buy another tilt if I wasn't a little gun shy.

I’ve brewed over 50 without one issue. Overall hardware problems with the Pico seem pretty rare, especially compared to the Zymatic. Most Pico issues seem to be caused by packs bursting and clogging things up.

1450 is the best. Have only tried it for ipa’s though I will give it a try this weekend in my Sam smith oatmeal stout clone on my zymatic.

Denny have you tried 1450 with the fast ferment? I have tried two different yeast strains 1056 and 1098 and had off flavors not terrible but they were there.

Good to hear. Denny if I get a fermentation fridge what temp do you recommend for 1450?

Ewe lady, I've done maybe 20 paks and the only hardware issue I may have experienced is that I noticed the final pumpout from the top chamber goes much slower than usual. I have wondered if there is some blockage and if so if that's possibly affecting the recipes. It doesn't happen all the time though.

Ewelady

My first three brews were messed up due to a broken ball lock keg disconnect. Had trouble figuring it out since it was cracked internally. Since then I have done 9 brews and its performed flawless.

booboo most definitely purchase a fermentation fridge and get a simple stc 1000 they are like $15 on amazon. Lots of info on other threads about them. I prefer the ink bird . This will be the best purchase you make towards making great beer. I look forward to Dennys response on temperature.

Good to hear. Denny if I get a fermentation fridge what temp do you recommend for 1450?

Ewe lady, I've done maybe 20 paks and the only hardware issue I may have experienced is that I noticed the final pumpout from the top chamber goes much slower than usual. I have wondered if there is some blockage and if so if that's possibly affecting the recipes. It doesn't happen all the time though.

This is usually the inline filter, check that your orange gasket is seated correctly and not torn, and that the lid is screwed on tight. You can also add a little keg lube to it if you have some. I’m gonna need a new one soon, getting a little worn out.

I just split a pouch of 1450 between The Hummer Amber and Chin Curtain IPA, fast ferment at household temp 73’ as my fermentation freezer Was lagering an October fest. Two of the best Pico batches I’ve done yet. FF adapter works fine as long as you don’t expect it to be any faster and give it plenty of time, and you use a quality yeast.

If you do go for the fermentation fridge I would recommend against a wine fridge if it’s the compressor-less thermoelectric type. They won’t be able to cold crash, and if you use the fridge to help reach pitching temps they take forever. Also the thermostats are usually crap and will need temp control anyway. You will be better served with something that has a compressor if you can swing it. For temp control you want an Inkbird 308.

1450 is the best. Have only tried it for ipa’s though I will give it a try this weekend in my Sam smith oatmeal stout clone on my zymatic.

Denny have you tried 1450 with the fast ferment? I have tried two different yeast strains 1056 and 1098 and had off flavors not terrible but they were there.

Nope, becasue I don't believe fast ferment will produce beer as good as a normal, temp controlled ferment. I tried it a couple times with 05 before deciding that it wasn't for me.

good to hear. Denny if i get a fermentation fridge what temp do you recommend for 1450?

Ewe lady, i've done maybe 20 paks and the only hardware issue i may have experienced is that i noticed the final pumpout from the top chamber goes much slower than usual. I have wondered if there is some blockage and if so if that's possibly affecting the recipes. It doesn't happen all the time though.

63-65f

Fast Fermentation absolutely does not work with 05. It’s definitely worse than standard temp controlled fermentation, but even then I loath that yeast.

Thx Denny great info I am in the same camp with fast ferment I have given it every opportunity and it has produced sub standard beer every time.

LOL well you better get on the horn with Picobrew and let them know you can produce a drinkable beer with the method. Their new kegs are fast fermentation only, gonna be a lot of pissed off people. Yet to mention the 90% of current Pico owners who use it and don’t know any better.

Just giving my experience. It produces strong off flavors. The beer is drinkable just not not as good as it can be. Not sure why this offends you.

LOL well you better get on the horn with Picobrew and let them know you can produce a drinkable beer with the method. Their new kegs are fast fermentation only, gonna be a lot of pissed off people. Yet to mention the 90% of current Pico owners who use it and don’t know any better.

How can the kegs know if you do fast ferment or not? They're merely vessels. You get to decide how to ferment.

The new kegs have fast fermentation built into the lid. Well the spunding valve, fast fermentation is such a dumb name. There is no way to ferment with an airlock on them.

Just giving my experience. It produces strong off flavors. The beer is drinkable just not not as good as it can be. Not sure why this offends you.

Oh trust me it takes a lot more than your opinion on something as pointless as beer brewing to offend me. Calm down. :mug:

The new kegs have fast fermentation built into the lid. Well the spunding valve, fast fermentation is such a dumb name. There is no way to ferment with an airlock on them.

So you take the lid off and put foil over the top. Or remove the PRV and use an airlock.

Thanks everyone for the replies! Appreciate it and you've made me feel more confident. Evidently not only was a hose clamp missing there were other issues with the machine and maybe Doug can take the time to figure out what it is.

Going to rack with the new machine tomorrow and I am going to order another tilt.

I have used the fast ferment this summer because it's hard to keep the temperature down but I am not really fast fermenting since I use the tilt to give me an idea of when things are done.

Ordering another Tilt. I like brewing with the Pico vs. going to the store and buying beer.

JRB03 are these the cheaper kegs that come with the Pico C because i just ordered a keg from the website and also received one in the kickstarter keg bundle and they are traditional 1.75 gallon kegs.

You can't unscrew it? Then don't use the lid, use foil.

Isn't the FF lock just a spring loaded airlock? Just put it in the fridge and use the FF airlock at traditional tempatures. Would the extra pressure at lower temps really make a difference?

Isn't the FF lock just a spring loaded airlock? Just put it in the fridge and use the FF airlock at traditional tempatures. Would the extra pressure at lower temps really make a difference?

On the old kegs it is. The new kegs it is built into the lid and not removable. I and many others don’t find it makes any difference. Others disagree.

On the old kegs it is. The new kegs it is built into the lid and not removable. I and many others don’t find it makes any difference. Others disagree.

Either way, can't you still ferment at lower tempatures? Isn't FF just higher tempatures but under pressure? Would the added pressure at lower tempatures make a difference if you just ferment in the fridge with the FF air lock!

For me I agree there is no difference. I think some people think FF should be done at real high temps like the sticker shows, but I have never done that nor endorse it.

US05 is the only yeast I can not make a good beer with pressure fermentation, at any temp, so far.

Survey... curious

I've brewed 23 packs, at first they were awful because of the excessive yeast. But that all worked out. Off and on I've had problems with the machine. Several times it just seemed to get stuck in the brewing and if I restarted it worked. Shuttle pump was replaced (by me) once and then failed again and it was shipped back and they couldn't get the pump to work either but there was nothing wrong with it and that wasn't during a brewing cycle it was a cleaning cycle. Now the last was thermo block heater error. This time they are replacing the machine. Mind you it hasn't been just 3 times a few other times where it just wouldn't brew but kept pumping water and then there was the hose that didn't have a clamp on it so it kept blowing off and making a mess.

This time they replaced the machine. I can't brew yet because the machine got here faster than the packs. I am on unlimited so I only get 2 at a time. Is anyone else having that many problems? I was tempted to shoot the thing a couple of months ago. I will feel much more confident if no one else has had problems. Not that I've given up, just ordered more kegs... and I would buy another tilt if I wasn't a little gun shy.

I'm in the same boat right now. They replaced my first machine after 1 brew because of a pump. I did a deep clean on Wednesday to get ready for brewing this weekend and once again the pump doesn't seem to be working. They've been great about giving advice, but so far its still unable to drain. I'm not ready to give up yet but it's certainly frustrating.

Let me know how the replacement goes. Good luck!

So you take the lid off and put foil over the top. Or remove the PRV and use an airlock.

Are you making a distinction between fermenting at "slow ferment" temperatures but with the FF valve in, and fermenting using the standard airlock?

My working assumption has been that keeping the FF adapter in but fermenting "low and slow" is functionally the same as a regular ferment?

I did not see any difference between valves(adapter) while fermenting at normal temperatures, so I did not bother replacing the red adapter with the grey one back. So, to me, normal fermenting with the FF adapter yielded the same results; so far.

Others would advise to place back the original adapter even at lager temperatures? I will try on a next batch. What is the PSI difference between the 2?

You can't unscrew it? Then don't use the lid, use foil.

yes, that's what I was going to say.

But then again, why even get those kegs then? I prefer the Pico Pro approach, get real kegs and ferment like you want. I have never been a big fan of the foil over the bucket. Just personal preference.

Thanks everyone for the replies! Appreciate it and you've made me feel more confident. Evidently not only was a hose clamp missing there were other issues with the machine and maybe Doug can take the time to figure out what it is.

Going to rack with the new machine tomorrow and I am going to order another tilt.

I have used the fast ferment this summer because it's hard to keep the temperature down but I am not really fast fermenting since I use the tilt to give me an idea of when things are done.

Ordering another Tilt. I like brewing with the Pico vs. going to the store and buying beer.

My advice would be to not use the machine to rack. It pushes the beer with air which will oxidize it.

I've done a fair amount of testing with CO2 racking vs using the machine and I just don't think these small kegs last long enough to make a difference. I guess if you keep one for a month or more it could.

I just heard that my BVIP recipe is being turned into a Pico Pak. Hope to have one to test later this week. I'll let ya know when the real thing is being released.

Back