Picnic tap placement?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, I'm about ready to order one to give it a shot. The "picnic tap 2.1" that is. Edit: Ordered it. I emailed to check I'd get the version on the website below as opposed to a different version on Amazon, and got a reply in like 5 minutes or less. Love that kind of involvement. If it works as I suspect it will I'll order a few more.

I "get" the idea of small diameter lines + length = flow restriction that doesn't foam up. The smaller the line ID, the shorter it can be. Take that down to an even smaller scale with the spiral thing inside this product, and it makes sense. At least in theory and per folks here on the forum indicating it is reality as well. Hmm.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/picnic-tap-2-1.725286/

Last edited:
I have 3 kegs and keep the lines long and mostly coiled on top of each keg leaving about 2 ft to maneuver with. The taps reside in a glass jar 1/2 full of starsan sitting on the hump in the chest keezer. This method works very well for me.

I have 3 kegs and keep the lines long and mostly coiled on top of each keg leaving about 2 ft to maneuver with. The taps reside in a glass jar 1/2 full of starsan sitting on the hump in the chest keezer. This method works very well for me.
Nice! Out of curiosity, plastic taps? No starsan damage?

Nice! Out of curiosity, plastic taps? No starsan damage?
btw, cleaning is good but sanitizing strikes me as unnecessary for this application. I don't sanitize the glasses I drink from either.

Oh, and I have one of these and agree it's a fine product.

I probably have dunked it in StarSan, but more out of habit than necessity.

The taps are in starsan to keep mold from growing on them as it would if they were left just laying around between uses, also this catches drips etc. . I could use water but it would need to be changed more frequently. I break them down completly to clean when I change kegs.

I got a picnic tap 2.1, and I can say:
- VERY effective.
- I'm actually turning pressure up to 12-15 (still tuning) to get slightly more head.
- A little slow to pour, but tolerable given the performance.
- Easy to disassemble.
- Excellent customer service. I had a goof that was partially my fault and they took care of me.

I've ordered the bottle filler to try that.

Latest posts

Back