Picnic Tap 2.1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammy86

Still thirsty
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
At the urging of @KeizerBrewr I decided to post about my recent purchase of The Picnic Tap 2.1

First let me say that for 25 bucks these things are well made! Very simple design, well made materials and SO EASY to use. They are literally santize and play.

Here are some pics of the pours:

D783D01B-3D66-4463-8EB0-6095EDDF7E08.jpeg

E417B574-AABA-4EC4-AC73-C6771938C792.jpeg

099AA387-10F4-4A7E-BCD6-DFC079260321.jpeg

724DFC1F-5FDD-41C4-9777-A39F5FD12D1B.jpeg

Overall would highly recommend for those who don't have a collar for their chest freezer and are tired of switching out lines with picnic taps on the end!

Any questions let me know, not an expert by any means but really enjoying them so far!

Attachments

• ACE1E974-1F4E-499F-8B54-BEF523C070DD.jpeg
    ACE1E974-1F4E-499F-8B54-BEF523C070DD.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Coincidentally I got mine Friday. I popped it on an already carbonated keg, and the pours weren’t perfect, but had a manageable amount of foam. I was impressed, given the lack of any sort of beer line.

I have 4 of them. They pour better after being in the fridge overnight to cool down.

Mine all pour slightly different. One gives no head at all. One gives a 1/4” of head and the others are in between.

They work great in my opinion.

Mine are attached directly to the keg and the pressure is set at 12 PSI.

Hahaha
Thanks for the call out 🤣

Does it pour good? Do you have to have the pressure really low?

My serving pressure is 12 PSI and I haven't had any issues as you can tell by the photos.

The instructions say not to go higher than 14 PSI so im playing close to the fire but not quite touching it.

The pour is slower than a 10 ft line with picnic tap but I don't mind, personally I think it looks cool coming out. And when you turn the tap it stops instantly, no drips!

Coincidentally I got mine Friday. I popped it on an already carbonated keg, and the pours weren’t perfect, but had a manageable amount of foam. I was impressed, given the lack of any sort of beer line.

Instructions at the bottom said to get them to temp before pouring, so I guess thats true! I left mine on 48 hours before pouring and they are coming out great!

Hey, I have two of these and am about to buy two more! Right now I have 2 corny kegs in the bottom of my kitchen fridge for serving, both with the Picnic Tap 2.1, serving at about 12 psi. They are just perfect. I’m going to grab a chest freezer soon, and I think I’ll start with just these taps and no collar, and see how it goes for a while. It’s just my wife and I normally serving, and she likes the taps just fine too.

the timing of this thread is impeccable. I was cleaning out my beer room and barely brushed my sleeve against my tap on my 1 gal mini keg. poured beer everywhere. I’m curious if they claim that this doesn’t happen is accurate. Can Anyone back this up?

I’m not impressed with the tap set up so far on this mini keg and the comments sound like it might fix some of what irritates me with the current set up.

the timing of this thread is impeccable. I was cleaning out my beer room and barely brushed my sleeve against my tap on my 1 gal mini keg. poured beer everywhere. I’m curious if they claim that this doesn’t happen is accurate. Can Anyone back this up?

I’m not impressed with the tap set up so far on this mini keg and the comments sound like it might fix some of what irritates me with the current set up.
In my experience, it would be virtually impossible to turn on these taps accidentally. They use a rotating knob, the tension is very high, and the action is very deliberate. As someone mentioned, when you turn them off, they seal very tightly (and quickly) and there’s literally no dripping.

I can confirm that it would be virtually impossible for this tap to accidently pour beer. My biggest fear used to be the fridge door pressing the lever on the old picnic taps and dispensing gallons of beer behind the closed fridge door. That is simply not possible with this tap because it works by twisting, not pressing.

Another me too. I have 4, just great. Replaced all the lines with the U-break it tap . Replaced 2 flow control faucets and one adjustable flow control keg connection.
Have 3, 2.5g kegs 2 PET Oxbar keg ( like these) and 2, one gal kegs with std keg cap.
Had one break, replaced no problem. I bought the repair kit if an O ring leaks.
All kegs are in a multiple refrigerators , 2 single keg and a big one holds 3.
Just open door and pour a glass

Attachments

• 20221110_160714.jpg
    20221110_160714.jpg
    988.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221110_160719.jpg
    20221110_160719.jpg
    915 KB · Views: 0

I can confirm you can't accidentally open these taps. You actually have to use some force when twisting the cap to open the tap.

I sent a message asking and the reply back - and I might say a very quick reply :
It looks pretty much the same on the outside. But, there are significant improvements inside the Tap Head albeit not obvious.
There is only one red O-ring.
The stainless steel bushing and the black O-ring are eliminated and they were our main sources of problems.
The swivel nut and the twist tap rotate more smoothly and therefore less prone to overtightening.
The CPFR can't block the internal outlet orifice even when it is not pushed all the way in to leave only 6mm exposed as intended.
The black collar now has three 2.5mm set screws to hold the twist tap in place.
The twist tap is therefore user-replaceable.

I contacted the human selling the picnic tap 2.1 and I have to say he's awesome. Super quick, lots of info, and it's like talking to a real human. Totally refreshing and I believe him when he says he just wants people to enjoy beer and brewing and not gauge them. I'm definitely ordering from him. This was an interesting read too

https://www.homebrewfinds.com/2021/05/the-stoplit-method-of-homebrewing.html

I bought the 2.0 version back in October. I like the design, and the reviews are obviously great. I haven't used it much, but I have found that the beer tends to taste flat when I do use it. I leave it in the fridge overnight to get cool, I pour it into a cold glass, but the beer just doesn't taste like it does out of my normal tap. Has anyone else had this happen?

Just purchased one. I have a 2 tap kegerator and a 3rd keg that sits in a chest freezer with the old school picnic tap and about a 3 foot beer line. Tired of having to bleed the pressure down to about a 3psi serving pressure to pour a beer. This should save me money on CO2 in the long run!

love love love my 2.1 perfect pour every time and yes you do have to have it overnight in the kegerator before it works perfect

works much better than my duotight flow control picnic tap kit.

for the above poster that finds the beer flatter make sure to open the 2.0 all the way when dispensing and qucikly close it when done slow opening and closing increases head and flattens the beer alittle i have noticed

otherwise they are flawless.

Nothing wrong with Williams Brewing but Amazon sells the 2.1 also, HBL Homebrewer LAB. $30.00
View attachment 819140

That will likely save me a little bit of money too. Usually end up buying stuff I'm not really sure I "need" to get to the free shipping threshold on Williams. Now I just have to determine if I support the M&P shop, or the conglomerate evil that is Amazon.

That will likely save me a little bit of money too. Usually end up buying stuff I'm not really sure I "need" to get to the free shipping threshold on Williams. Now I just have to determine if I support the M&P shop, or the conglomerate evil that is Amazon.
I buy from Williams and like them for my source but I buy a ton more other things from Amazon, brewery items and other crap. I appreciate your idea but like you I like the Prime free shipping.

where can u get that bottle filler adaptor if i could bottle from my keg with that it would change my homebrewing considerably. i have avoided bottle fillers because of all the foaming issues

Not to take away from the product but I'd bet you can DIY something similar. Flow control post, etc.

I've filled bottles many times just shoving a tube over (or inside of) the picnic tap... Just two key things to know:

1) bottles should be cold
2) Unhook the CO2 and bleed most (but not all) pressure off the PRV

I guess if you had a ton of bottles you could have the CO2 connected but regulated to say 1psi

Last edited:
Back