Phoenix Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cregar

Reaction score
This weekend I am going to be doing my first AG with Phoenix tap water, I have done a few AG's with bottled water but I am trying to keep my cost down a little more.

So anyone in the Phoenix area know the spec's on Phoenix's water? I have downloaded there water report but really doesn't have too much info. I even called the water dept and explained to the person what I was doing and what I needed, she had no clue and transfered me to the fire dept. HUH :)

Any help would be apprecaited.

Cregar

Hit the 5.2pH stabilizer and call it a day. Tucson water works fine, but the pH is a bit high

Cool.. thanks Flyguy

Im not sure what a PH stabilizer is.. Im fairly new to AGing. Is that the powdered you add to your mash to even things out?

I would just try it and see what happens. Use the iodine test to check for conversion or just taste the wort at the start and as you proceed - you should notice a very marked increase in the sweetness as conversion takes place. Most potable water is capable of supporting a good mash. Extreme brews in terms of grains used (ie very light colored beers) can create challenges but most will work fine.

GT

Ive also thought about using phoenix water to brew with. I know i dont care for the taste of city water myself. I usually go to safeway and get my water from the dispensers outside the store. Ive got to make a stop by there tomorrow before i start brewing.

Well, the way to know for certain is to get your water analyzed for about $16 here: http://www.wardlab.com/
W-4 is an appropriate analysis.
I could also recommend a campden tablet (potassium or sodium metabisulfite).
- Mark

Back