pH guestimate of extract in distilled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zwiller

Reaction score
Anyone willing to offer a guess of what dissolved extract of average gravity in distilled water would be. I understand there will variations amongst mfgrs, DME and liquid, etc. Would it even be within an acceptable range to brew beer? I assume the extract itself must be at under 4.5 to packaged in cans... Anyone adjust pH for yeast starters? Just curious. Any thoughts welcome!

pH is important for the starch-to-sugar conversion, but with extract that's already done. Not sure it really matters.

Anyone willing to offer a guess of what dissolved extract of average gravity in distilled water would be. I understand there will variations amongst mfgrs, DME and liquid, etc. Would it even be within an acceptable range to brew beer? I assume the extract itself must be at under 4.5 to packaged in cans... Anyone adjust pH for yeast starters? Just curious. Any thoughts welcome!

The gravity will depend on

How much extract
How much water

A pound of extract in 10 gallons will have a lower gravity than two pounds of extract in 1 gallon. Liquid and dry extracts will have differing sugar content also

pH adjustment for starters is not needed. You are not trying to make a tasty beverage. You are trying to increase the numbers of yeast cells and/or confirm the viability of the yeast. Usually just the former.

Thanks for playing along guys. I agree conversion is done and it doesn't matter much.

Yes, I meant pH. So it is likely within range of typical wort...

Tons of variable here, no doubt. It wasn't the reason for the query but is there a chance that starter made with tap water with high alkalinity could affect yeast performance/have an affect on final beer?

If you make a starter with highly alkaline wort the yeast will have to work to produce acid instead of biomass (the desired product from a starter), alcohol and CO2. We can say with confidence, therefore, that the yeast will have an easier time of it if presented a growth medium that is close to that of the wort they will eventually work in. Now whether that makes a lot of difference or a little difference I can't say.

I make my starters for extract brews using the same neutral water I brew with and the standard 1.040 ratio. I have explosive fermentations, great attenuation and deliscious beers in the 1.080 - 1.090 range.

Back