Perlick 525SS compared to new 630SS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the thread revival, but my Perlick 525's just simply do not seal that well and this thread kinda has me leaning toward the 630SS as a possible solution to the issue. The comparison pics by the OP were great and so were many of the commentary posts.

Has anyone been able to confirm that the flat forward washers were indeed to help sealing?

OP here....

I haven't had any leaks or any issues since swapping from the 525 to the 630SS. I think it is a combo of the flat washer (o-ring) and the fact that it seems to float around more than what the 525 did so it finds a good seal better.

OP here....

I haven't had any leaks or any issues since swapping from the 525 to the 630SS. I think it is a combo of the flat washer (o-ring) and the fact that it seems to float around more than what the 525 did so it finds a good seal better.
That's good to hear. Based on this thread, I ordered a couple 630ss' on Amazon and swapped them out. No leaking so far. One of the 2 seems really stiff. I'm not sure why. I should also note that the ones I received have metal bearing cups. So predictions were true on that.

Thanks again for the info.

Sorry for the thread revival, but my Perlick 525's just simply do not seal that well and this thread kinda has me leaning toward the 630SS as a possible solution to the issue. The comparison pics by the OP were great and so were many of the commentary posts.

Has anyone been able to confirm that the flat forward washers were indeed to help sealing?

I can't help, really. I have 2 525s and 1 630. None of them leak, the pour from both is the same The only differences I have found it that they look a little different, the 630 has a little more mechanical feel to it (clunky?) and has a little shorter "throw" in the handle forward to back.
And lastly a growler filler will not fit both.

I am totally satisfied with both...

I still like my 525's. If you really don't like yours feel free to send them to me, I will put them to good use. I found though that large tap handles did seem to cause some leakage, though I like the little black taps that are on there currently because it is too easy to bump the large ones open on my chest w/ collar keezer.

I did find that disassembling them and keg lubing the o-ring helped sealing and adjusting the tightness of the bonnet did as well. Smooth, and I can fit an old bit of tubing from my racking cane inside the spout with a drilled stopper threaded on it and use it as a bottle filler.

Yep, I was using the large tap handles (which may have been the issue). The growler filler tube that I have for the 525's does not fit the 630 as mentioned above. So that will go along with the 2 faucets to an ebay auction to recoup some of the costs of buying the new 630's.

It's unfortunate since I like the look of the 525's more with the laser etched "P". The stamped in look has a sort of ... industrial look to it. Oh well, maybe that's been the style trend in bars lately or something. they do seem to seal better at least.

If anyone on here is interested in buying the 525's and growler filler tube, let me know. I'm not sure what a fair price would be on them (hence the eBay route). They are in great shape and I will be taking some pics soon. I've cleaned them and soaked them in Brewclean. But after shipping and all that, the buyer would want to re-clean and sanitize them. I'll be putting them on eBay otherwise in a week or so. I need to finish dealing with the aftermath of the beer spillage (~5 gallons of beer can make quite a mess).

Thanks for all the help and advice.

3 years later and the same. They are different, the distance the handle moves is a bit different, the 630's seem a little shorter in movement and a little more "mechanical" other than that I haven't experienced much difference. I like the old graphic on the faucet, but I also like the new one. 50/50........

Still running a six-pack of first-gen 525SS faucets here. I've replaced two o-rings between them over the years. More significantly, I installed Intertap return springs in all of them. Huge upgrade wrt reliable closure - I have a keezer lid mounted t-tower and it was always a crap shoot when I raised the lid whether one of the faucets would start dribbling. I've had the springs in place for almost a year and have had zero dribbles since...

CHeers!

Back