Peeling Kiwis?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkuhl

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to start a session-style mead with strawberries and kiwis. The fruits have already been frozen 24 hours and after cutting the greens off the strawberries and slicing the kiwis, I intend to pasteurize them and then putting them into a must with 1 lb honey in one gallon (looking for low ABV.)

My question is, do the kiwis need to be peeled? Or is there benefit to leaving the skins on?

Disclaimer...I don't brew mead. But I've added a lot of fruit to beer over the years. In general, if you'd eat it with the skin on you can leave it (nectarines, plums, apricots, etc..) But I'd peel a kiwi to eat and did the same before adding it to a fermentation. Same for pineapple and mango. One exception to that general rule is orange or lime zest...Cheers!

That's what I was thinking and I did end up peeling it. But it made me wonder if I was missing out in tannins or nutrients or something beneficial.

That's what I was thinking and I did end up peeling it. But it made me wonder if I was missing out in tannins or nutrients or something beneficial.
My thought is the same as @RCope. Then you have all those hairs on the outer skin....I think a lot of those would probably find their way even through a fine mesh BIAB.
Let us know how this turns out.
Happy meading 😎

Back