Pecan flavoring for stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoshinJoshN

Reaction score
I plan to make a coffee pecan stout in the next week or so, but I'm not sure how to go about getting the pecan flavor. I've thought about toasting the pecans myself and adding them at some point but I've also thought about using extract.

If anyone has used this flavor before do you have any advice on how to achieve a beer with some good pecan flavor?

I like the extract. Use it sparingly. The 2 oz bottle I bought said to use the whole thing in 5 gallons. I probably used 3/4 oz per 5 gallons to get a very strong pecan flavor in a brown ale.

+1 i did a porter and added the pecan extract when boiling the priming sugar. it was waaayy too much pecan. usually you would add the whole vial for a 5 gallon batch, but with the pecan it can be overbearing. i would add no more than half the vial. less if you want it to be subtle.

That's my experience with both extracts I've used. I used 1 oz of spruce extract in a 10 gallon batch (1/4 the recommended amount per 5 gallons) in a beer that's now four years old. It's BARELY tolerable now.

Back