Sweet Potato Pie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick986

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently watched a Basic Brewing Video where they brewed up a basic beer as a base for "pie crust," and it got me thinking about combining with a sweet potato beer I had a while back, to make a sweet potato pie beer. I've roughed out a recipe based on the video, combined with a sweet potato beer recipe I got from a LHBS a while back, and looking for some thoughts on it. I did add some pecans, with the intention of the beer being a desert beer, with Sweet Potato Pecan Pie in mind.

Mash @ 158:
8lb Maris Otter
20oz Victory
20oz Special Roast
8oz Crystal 80
8oz Crystal 120
6oz Pale Chocolate
5lb Sweet Potatoes - Baked

Hops:
Crystal @ 60min - 25-27 IBU

Spices, soaked/tincture then added to secondary:
0.5lb Pecans - toasted
1 Cinnamon Stick
0.5tsp Ginger
0.25tsp Clove
0.25tsp nutmeg
2 Vanilla Beans

my only concern would be oils from the pecans messing with head retention...

probably best to toast them a few days before, then let them sit in a paper bag with a little shaky-shake every day or so... Bag should soak up any oils that start seeping out...

my only concern would be oils from the pecans messing with head retention...

probably best to toast them a few days before, then let them sit in a paper bag with a little shaky-shake every day or so... Bag should soak up any oils that start seeping out...
That's the exact process I was looking to do. I was considering putting some flaked barley or possibly an addition of a lowér crystal to help, although neither may with the oils.
I would also be concerned about mashing at 158. I know you want sweet, but that might make for cloying.
158 was my initial thought, would you suggest around 154-156?

158 *can* work... it is on the high end, but might be the right level of chewy body for a sweet potato pie inspired brew. As long as the ABV is high enough to balance the body. 156 is probably *safer* but you *are* experimenting, right?:p

You could also perhaps boost the ABV with some sort of sugar (sucrose, dextrose, belgian candy, honey, etc.) to "thin" it out, you can perhaps balance the extra body from higher mash temps.

I'd say go with 158. If it's too chewy, then drop to 156 next time...

Back