peace brothers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

degardebrewing

Reaction score
I'm leaving the site for awhile. Its been fun, intellectually stimulating and liver destroying at times. Thank you all for every piece of that. Sincerely.

It seems that our decision a couple weeks back to allow 'no limits' on our beer sales for a couple releases has triggered a few emotions. Ill address that now;

We are in nowhere Oregon.
We are a tiny brewery always trying to make sure we can pay our bills.
We dont have much of a local audience in our some thousand and nothing person town, and unlike Vermont, Chicago or the Bay area (amongst others) we are reliant upon a few hundred, or a few thousand supporters. There just isn't the population density in a reasonable travelling distance in Oregon.
When we had the quantity of beer that we thought we could offer with no limit and still have last a week or longer, we did so. It turns out, it only lasted 36 hours. Id think that in the grand scheme of the growing hysteria, thats still a pretty good opportunity to make your way out and buy what you'd like, if you'd like.

Obviously, as with any in demand commodity, people put themselves in an advantageous position. We dont condone it. But we simply aren't capable or willing to police limits from one person to the next. When our faith in consumer is abused, it hurts, but it is none of our damn business what you do with our 'product' once its sold. We dont presume thar right.
Really, when we have a small and reasonably local audience looking to have more for daily consumption, this seemed opportune.

It may get lost in the (largely unfounded in my eyes) demand for our beer that we are a small operation, and have the utmost desire to stay such. Theres four of us. That includes the taproom.

We all take this personally. Its a labour of love. When i see disappointed people, it does cut. We started this to try and make a better beer world. Obviously we haven't.

But I think its time to take a deep look at what you want out of beer.
I think its a beautiful experience to share, whether with myself over an evening, or with family and friends.
If your contribution is treating it like the next playing card or investment, or the next thread to troll online, please, take an introspective look. Some of us truly love this, and really hate seeing it ruined. I wagered my livelihood on this out of love. Not profit. If you see our pricing, I hope you can understand that to be true.

All good things must end. Thats not a comment on my time here. Thats a comment on the good beer scene. It seems the vocal minority are succeeding in pulling the entire roof down on our heads.

**** that. We'll stay out in nowhere Oregon making shitty beer.

Thank you all.

Cheers,
Trevor

"Obviously, as with any in demand commodity, people put themselves in an advantageous position. We dont condone it. But we simply aren't capable or willing to police limits from one person to the next. When our faith in consumer is abused, it hurts, but it is none of our damn business what you do with our 'product' once its sold. We dont presume thar right."

I like you even more now.

I'm leaving the site for awhile. Its been fun, intellectually stimulating and liver destroying at times. Thank you all for every piece of that. Sincerely.

It seems that our decision a couple weeks back to allow 'no limits' on our beer sales for a couple releases has triggered a few emotions. Ill address that now;

We dont have much of a local audience in our some thousand and nothing person town, and unlike Vermont, Chicago or the Bay area (amongst others) we are reliant upon a few hundred, or a few thousand supporters. There just isn't the population density in a reasonable travelling distance in Oregon.
When we had the quantity of beer that we thought we could offer with no limit and still have last a week or longer, we did so. It turns out, it only lasted 36 hours. Id think that in the grand scheme of the growing hysteria, thats still a pretty good opportunity to make your way out and buy what you'd like, if you'd like.

Obviously, as with any in demand commodity, people put themselves in an advantageous position. We dont condone it. But we simply aren't capable or willing to police limits from one person to the next. When our faith in consumer is abused, it hurts, but it is none of our damn business what you do with our 'product' once its sold. We dont presume thar right.
Really, when we have a small and reasonably local audience looking to have more for daily consumption, this seemed opportune.

It may get lost in the (largely unfounded in my eyes) demand for our beer that we are a small operation, and have the utmost desire to stay such. Theres four of us. That includes the taproom.

We all take this personally. Its a labour of love. When i see disappointed people, it does cut. We started this to try and make a better beer world. Obviously we haven't.

I think its a beautiful experience to share, whether with myself over an evening, or with family and friends.
If your contribution is treating it like the next playing card or investment, or the next thread to troll online, please, take an introspective look. Some of us truly love this, and really hate seeing it ruined. I wagered my livelihood on this out of love. Not profit. If you see our pricing, I hope you can understand that to be true.

All good things must end. Thats not a comment on my time here. Thats a comment on the good beer scene. It seems the vocal minority are succeeding in pulling the entire roof down on our heads.

Thank you all.

Cheers,
Trevor
Been following you since you've been here, never messaged you or even been lucky enough to trade for your beer. Always enjoyed "stalking" you. You degardebrewing will be missed! Hope this is only a short break. Keep up the great work, and I hope to trade for some of your beer soon. Can't wait for the TB001 and TB002 barrels are ready!

I can't say I blame you Trevor. Best of luck going forward, and I hope to visit one day and share some beers in person with you - be they hugely sought after walezbro or just normal tasty ****in' beer that happens to be readily available.

Gonna miss you here though

Thank you all.

Cheers,
Trevor
C'mon Trevor, stick around.

If only to shoot the **** in the Keeper's Society and Tillamook threads.

Trevor - you guys are doing amazing things. You are one of the few brewers who spends time with us and I can honestly say that I thoroughly appreciate that.

I signed up for your club because of your presence here. You are one of us, perhaps the best of us. I live on the east coast and signed up for your club before ever tasting your beers. Please don't let the haters make you act differently.

You're safe?
Ill still be reading around a bit.
And keeping my philosophy minor to myself.

giphy.gif

Thank you all.

Cheers,
Trevor
Wat8.jpg

Completely ****ing honest, I have no idea what's going on.
Plus I' been drinking.

You make amazing beers and some loose butthole #newmoney might take advantage of no limit sales. But don't most people do their thing and it's not ruinous?

Seems like a small minority is souring the beer scene, and IMO there's no way they should have enough leverage to make you feel this way.

Wouldn't 2 or 3 case limits help if a few people are buying pallets and draining each release?
We started this to try and make a better beer world. Obviously we haven't.
I whole-heartedly think you have, and your participation here has been a huge part of it. How can anyone not get a semi for the quirky, high quality brewer among us?
A few bad apples should not ruin your perspective on the positive impact you've had.

You're safe?
Ill still be reading around a bit.
And keeping my philosophy minor to myself.
I have a philosophy minor too!

degardebrewing you should be extremely flattered that your quality product has created this frenzy of demand. As a consumer myself, I love your product. Love it.

But you are right, you can't control the market once you sell your product. I don't think anyone that is reasonable would think otherwise.

Personally, I hate to lose your personality and contributions to this board based on behaviors that are well out of your control or beyond your ability to fix.

I understand if this site has less business communication from you but I'll be crying into my iPad if you stop Intiharing HotD magnums in a flower case and cracking jokes.

Cheers and thank you for making great beer.

degardebrewing you should be extremely flattered that your quality product has created this frenzy of demand. As a consumer myself, I love your product. Love it.

But you are right, you can't control the market once you sell your product. I don't think anyone that is reasonable would think otherwise.

Personally, I hate to lose your personality and contributions to this board based on behaviors that are well out of your control or beyond your ability to fix.

I understand if this site has less business communication from you but I'll be crying into my iPad if you stop Intiharing HotD magnums in a flower case and cracking jokes.

Cheers and thank you for making great beer.

IT WAS A DECANTER.

Love you guys.

Thank you all.

Cheers,
Trevor

degardebrewing

I have only had the pleasure of having one or two of your beers and they were both phenomenal.

I always thought that we were lucky to have you be a part of this community.

Keep doing what you are doing. You won't ever be able to control the ********. Like my mom used to say: Don't let the bastards get you done.

I too hope to make it up to your brewery soon and share a beer with you. Thank you for being a part of our community. Keep up the great work.

Keep doing the good ****. Ignore the negativity and do what feels right. That's all that matters. People in the world suck and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Hope to make the voyage out someday soon. It's been awesome having you here - has reinforced my faith that brewers are inherently good people who hate what all of us nerds make you out to be.

it-s-not-your-fault-o.gif

Dafuq? Now brewer butthurt?
Ffs. I definitely quit beer.

degardebrewing, had one of your beers. It was damn fine. But saying adios to TB or any site in reaction to feedback is weak sauce. Do wat you do (make good beer that people want). The last year or two has been tough to logistically navigate relating to bottle releases. Forecasting demand is the ***** of 201x business.
Take the feedback. Persevere. Limping in a little white hanky is too soft for my liking (a la Radiohead).

Chin up, buttercup.

degardebrewing. I really love your beer and am always excited to try whatever new one you have. I can taste the love and hard work that you put into every beer, regardless of my opinions on the beer.

I'm happy to be a Keeper's Member for 2015 and hope I get to make it to one of the Keeper parties. Your posts almost always make me laugh or are very informative. I'm sad to see you go and hope that you will consider returning at some point in the near future.

Cheers,

B.S.

Trevor – your posts and AMA are one of the reasons I really settled into TB, and I still point that out to anybody who is new or prospective to the community. I’ve told many people about how kind and hospitable you were while I nagged you when you guys were closed and under construction last summer. Please consider that every community has a few bad apples but this one is probably 99.99% good people.

Cheers, and I might see you next month,
– Sage

Trevor, we've never met but apologies if any of my comments offended you or influenced you to make this decision. You're one of the last great bastions of the quintessential beer advocate (no relation to that other site) lifestyle, and your brewery is a much-needed silver lining in the armpit that is craft brewing today. We're not being ******** at you; we're being ******** with you to those who take this incredible hobby way too seriously and make it some kind of crusade on their part.

De Garde is single-handedly making me consider traveling to any part of Oregon that isn't Portland, and considering how much of the PNW I've seen on Cops, that's a damned compliment.

It's beer. Jesus, why don't some people get that? BEER. So someone misses out on a bottle, everyone has to cry? Beer. I repeat, it's beer. lol at a brewer with a QQ woe is me, epitome of a selfie in hopes of getting "OMG you're so pretty!" affirmative response post. SMH

Trevor, it's ****ING BEER! BEER!!!! For god sakes.

tl;dr Beer.

Seriously, imagine pancakes and read his post. Tell me you don't lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back