Partial Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanBrew

Reaction score
I have a Pale Ale that has been in the primary for 5 weeks. I want to bottle some but not all this week. Is it possible to siphon a gallon or so off the 5 gallons and not have any ill effects to the remaining 4 gallons? It is being stored in the garage and i don't think it is getting above 40 degrees in there these days.
Thanks,
:fro:

I have a Pale Ale that has been in the primary for 5 weeks. I want to bottle some but not all this week. Is it possible to siphon a gallon or so off the 5 gallons and not have any ill effects to the remaining 4 gallons?
Thanks,
:fro:

It’s not ideal but as long as you sanitize everything well and disturb the beer as little as possible you should be fine.

Can I ask why you don't want to bottle it all?
I would just like it to sit in bulk for another 2 weeks or so. However, I would like to try a few bottles soon. I also need to clean some bottles over the next few weeks so I can bulk bottle it.

It’s not ideal but as long as you sanitize everything well and disturb the beer as little as possible you should be fine.
Thanks, I plan on feeding the racking cane through the stopper and barely cracking the top open to prevent outside contamination, and only pull from the top. Hopefully not disturbing any of the middle and bottom.

This is another one of the reasons I want to try this. I have tried this before. 3/4 teaspoon of priming sugar per bottle dissolved in equal parts hot water. When dissolved it measures out to be 1 1/8 teaspoon of the liquid per bottle. I use one of the syringes that come with chidren's medicine to draw the correct amount and squirt it in each bottle. Too much time on my hands I know!!

This is another one of the reasons I want to try this. I have tried this before. 3/4 teaspoon of priming sugar per bottle dissolved in equal parts hot water. When dissolved it measures out to be 1 1/8 teaspoon of the liquid per bottle. I use one of the syringes that come with chidren's medicine to draw the correct amount and squirt it in each bottle. Too much time on my hands I know!!

But your time well spent I must say!!

Back