Parti-gyle Monday!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khursh

Reaction score
It's Memorial day and what better way to honor our fallen brethren than to brew a Parti-gyle. This is one of the ways I can do a 10 gallon batch in my wee 5 gallon system. Here is my plan:
One IPA at 1.070 and
A bitter at 1.035 - 1.040

16# Maris otter
2#. Wheat malt
1#. 55L UK crystal
1#. Munich

152 mash with 7 gallons (1.5qt/lb)

I will drain off and take a gravity. I am guessing I will get 4.5ish gallons. I am shooting for 1.070, so if it is high I can add some second runnings or water depending on how high.

My hop schedule for the IPA is:
1.5 oz magnum 60 min
1 oz Centennial 15 min
1 oz Centennial 1 min
2 oz Centennial dry hop

2 vials WLP001 in 2L starter 20 hours ahead

Bitter hop schedule:
1 oz Goldings 60 min
.5 oz Goldings at 15 min
.5 oz Goldings at 1 min

Washed WLP002 in 1 L starter 18 hours ahead

I mostly hit my numbers.
My mash was a perfect 152 with no loss.
My first runnings were 5.25 gallons at 1.088, so I added 1.25 gallons of water to bring it fairly close to 1.070.

My remaining sparge runnings were a little low, at 1.025. I didnt mix it, so it may read higher once I transfer to the kettle. I guess I could do a 90 min boil to bring the gravity up on the second batch.

I sound pathetic being the only person responding to my thread, but here is my update.

Batch one came in at 1.085, to which I added water to bring it down to 1.075. I just pitched the WLP001 starter into the oxygenated wort and, fingers crossed, it will be cooking shortly.

My pre-boil gravity for the bitter is a whopping 1.031. Post boil gravity might bring me to 1.036-1.040. Boil is on now.

I sound pathetic being the only person responding to my thread, but here is my update.

Didn't want you too feel bad, I'm sure everyone else is just busy Memorial Day-ing!....

just kidding, I have been reading anything on partygyle brewing I can as I have plans to eventually try it myself...best of luck to you! (and I've heard that having a little DME on hand can really help out with the second batch if it really comes in too low....)

Not pathetic at all my friend. I'd give you a better response but I've had one too many brewing my own Memorial Day IPA. Keep posting. Surely someone is sober enough to respond :D

Well, my second batch came in around 1.038. Not a bad gravity for an ordinary bitter. I did screw up. I didn't look closely enough at the Goldings package and it turns out I got 1 oz instead of 2. So I added an oz of centennial. Obviously, this is no longer a true-to-style bitter. It'll be beer though. I was considering boiling off the alcohol after fermentation, so that I can give my dad some NA beer for father's day, but that belongs in it's own thread. Cheers folks, and thanks for reading.

Next time if you end up high on your first runnings, you can always blend some with the second runnings to get your gravities a little closer to where you wanted them.

Having done this once, I thought of that after the fact. I was trying to think about logistics of how to do that. I thought I would exchange one gallon of the high gravity stuff with a gallon of the low. All-in-all, I'm not too unhappy with the OG of either. When I transferred the high gravity wort from the kettle, I whirl pooled and transferred very little trub, which had the double benefit of letting me add some water to lower it's gravity and replace the lost volume. My only disappointment was my own bonehead move of getting one oz of Goldings instead of two and having to use some of my centennial.

At least you got 2 beers from one batch on a 5gal system, so that's cool. Update this post and let us know how they turned out when they're ready!

Back