Parti-Gyle Blending question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoKozak

Reaction score
So after listening to an older "Can You Brew It" podcast where Fullers ESB and London Pride were successfully cloned (the second time they tried), I'm interested in trying to do a parti-gyle since they said that is what made the major difference between their first try, when they failed, and their second try.

Fullers uses blending to hit particular gravities to make their different famous beers. At least that's what I took away from the episode and from reading about it.

The episode was really confusing in regards to how and when blending occurs (or maybe it's just because I don't fully understand the process). Can anyone tell me when to blend the first runnings with second runnings? Is it pre-boil or post-boil when using the parti-gyle method?

Post-boil seems to make the most sense since you are creating two different beers. But even then, it sounds to me like it's just using second runnings to dilute first runnings...the same thing that would take place during pre-boil blending to hit a particular gravity. Where am I wrong in this thinking?

Cheers!

Traditionally, the method was to ferment the beers out separately and then combine when packaging.

Back