Panty hose vorlauf

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meat803

Reaction score
I have been using pantyhose for filtering my first wort runnings instead of recycling vorlauf. I first started using pantyhose when dropping cooled wort into carboy. Easy filtration of break and hops. Anyway, seems to work equally as well when brewing AG for vorlaufing. I use cooler/braided hose as mash tun.

Im self taught and developed the use of pantyhose through my own trial and error. Can any gurus tell me how this is bad? Any feedback appreciated.

From what I understand the purpose of the vorlauf is to "set" the grain bed.
In other words the grain bed itself acts as the filteration mechanism.
If your method works keep at it.

"Panty hose vorlauf"

Heh. Sounds like the name of a movie. Not G. Not PG. Maybe not R.

I've heard of using panyhose for a hopsack. What you are doing seems fine, although unnecessary tbh. But if it works for you, keep on brewing!

Cheers!

Sounds like your using something for the wrong reason. Dzlater is right, vorlauffing has has nothing to do with hops and protein post boil. It has to do with setting the grainbed for a good runoff of sugars, and to filter out husks and grain particulate matter before it gets into the boil kettle.

I'm sure it does a good job for you as a filter, but it's NO replacement for a vorlauf session.

Sounds like your using something for the wrong reason. Dzlater is right, vorlauffing has has nothing to do with hops and protein post boil. It has to do with setting the grainbed for a good runoff of sugars, and to filter out husks and grain particulate matter before it gets into the boil kettle.

I'm sure it does a good job for you as a filter, but it's NO replacement for a vorlauf session.

I think you misread it. I use it for both filtering wort and setting the grain bed on my mash. Separate deals.

I put pantyhose on my tun drain hose and it catches the first runnings grain debris at the beginning. Saves me from needing to vorlauf as no grain gets into the kettle. It is all caught by the pantyhose.

As for filtering wort, After my wort has cooled I pass it through pantyhose on its way to the carboy. It grabs 99% of the break and hops, leaving my wort crystal clear in the carboy. I did a test one time and did 2 batches side by side. One with wort filtered and the other with break and hops all dumped in. It was an IPA and TBH they both tasted the same. I would say filtering wort doesnt do jack. But I still do it for aesthetic reasons.

I do the same thing with a fine mesh hop bag, instead of recirculating, I just let it go straight to the kettle.

I seem to get such a small amount of grain past the braid on the initial runoff that I have thought of omitting the vorlaf entirely. Is the trace amount of grain eliminated by vorlaufing enough to make any difference in the final product?

I think you misread it. I use it for both filtering wort and setting the grain bed on my mash. Separate deals.

I put pantyhose on my tun drain hose and it catches the first runnings grain debris at the beginning. Saves me from needing to vorlauf as no grain gets into the kettle. It is all caught by the pantyhose.

As for filtering wort, After my wort has cooled I pass it through pantyhose on its way to the carboy. It grabs 99% of the break and hops, leaving my wort crystal clear in the carboy. I did a test one time and did 2 batches side by side. One with wort filtered and the other with break and hops all dumped in. It was an IPA and TBH they both tasted the same. I would say filtering wort doesnt do jack. But I still do it for aesthetic reasons.

Yeah, but doesn't your girlfriend complain about it getting too hot? Plus, what about off flavors?

If you use the right part of the panty hose, you might not even need to add yeast. Maybe you could clone Black Butte porter.
This method really gives you a LEG UP on the competition.
Hope youre not brewing up any red ales, or browns.

I'm here all week folks, try the veal, its delish.

If you use the right part of the panty hose, you might not even need to add yeast. Maybe you could clone Black Butte porter.

well done. :ban:

I'm here all week folks, try the veal, its delish.

LOL. The judges said 'obviously infected'!

Excellent idea. You ARE setting the grainbed, and removing the particles. I thought my idea of using a plastic watering can was good, but this is even better.
Good job!

My only concern would be that this material is not food grade. <Ok, insert joke here>.
I'd probably use something like a nylon sack, but if it keeps the husks out of your boil, that IS the purpose of the vorlauf. I use a small 1 quart pyrex bowl, and once the lautering is done, I use it to keep my stirring spoon clean. I doubt that recirculating 3 quarts of wort has any real effect on the grain bed. The braided hose seems to let a few small particles in during the mashing, and when you vorlauf, they are flushed out, and the remaining grain slightly compacts and traps any remaining particles. You simply are capturing that same material with the nylon.
As for the break and hops, the less solid material you get into your fermenter, the better. I'd say keep on doing it, but just get a nylon hop sack. I think I will try that.

Back