Paint brand new chest freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antler

Reaction score
I'm looking for a chest freezer in like new condition but having no luck locally so I'm going to have to break down and buy new. I'm going to be painting it black. I searched and havent found anything definitive. Do I need to sand? Can I just epoxy or etch primer and paint? Should I use appliance paint?

I just got done painting a used frig to get the black color I wanted. I sanded off the gloss of the old paint with 320 grit paper. I had to clean up the surfaces really well with tack cloth. Then a good coat of primer and 2-3 coats of good spray paint out of a can. I found some spray on chalk board paint and used that on the door. Now I mark what is on tap and what I have in bottles.

beer frig.jpg

Dale4beer said:
I just got done painting a used frig to get the black color I wanted. I sanded off the gloss of the old paint with 320 grit paper. I had to clean up the surfaces really well with tack cloth. Then a good coat of primer and 2-3 coats of good spray paint out of a can. I found some spray on chalk board paint and used that on the door. Now I mark what is on tap and what I have in bottles.

The whole thing looks to be painted with chalkboard paint, doesn't look to be high gloss at all do you have any better pictures?

That is the reflection of the rug you see on the bottom part. I think it looks great, and probably looks really great in person.

Painting something is simple - sand, clean, prime, paint. I did the exact same thing to my freezer. Just used spray paint from the hardware store - nothing special. It's a freezer.

True, but it's not just a freezer in my case, I want it to match the quality of my kitchen appliances.

They don't sell black ones around here I've tried everywhere and they will not order them.

I second the buy one already in black if you're buying new.

If you can't find one in a local store, order online. You can find a lot of places that will ship free (either as a standard policy, or with an easily findable coupon code). Found one in 2 seconds by looking at Lowes.com Free shipping.

pfgonzo said:
I second the buy one already in black if you're buying new.

If you can't find one in a local store, order online. You can find a lot of places that will ship free (either as a standard policy, or with an easily findable coupon code). Found one in 2 seconds by looking at Lowes.com Free shipping.

Yes in the US, but no appliance stores will order them and I can't find any stores in Canada selling black freezers that are bigger than 5cu ft. I'm sure if Lowes had to ship one to Newfoundland they wouldn't do it free.

Hi

I just finished painting a white freezer black. I used Rustoleum "Universal" black hammer tone paint. The result is *very* nice looking. The paint even sticks to the white gasket between the lid and the top of the freezer. Painted everything, paint stuck everywhere worked great. Highly recommended.

The only down side is that I got one bum can of paint. It just didn't spray no matter what. All it would do is run all over my hands. Not a big deal, but it did add to the cost a little. I used six cans of paint instead of five.

The cool spray trigger on the Universal definitely saved my hands over the old push down top on a normal can. I found the stuff at Walmart (one bad can) and at Lowes (no bad cans).

In my case the freezer was brand new. I didn't bother to prep anything other than pulling labels and cleaning off adhesive. If it was a used freezer I would have sanded the surface. Wax and furniture polish are *very* bad if you put paint over them. Who know what's happened to a used freezer...

Bob

carlisle_bob said:
Hi

I just finished painting a white freezer black. I used Rustoleum "Universal" black hammer tone paint. The result is *very* nice looking. The paint even sticks to the white gasket between the lid and the top of the freezer. Painted everything, paint stuck everywhere worked great. Highly recommended.

The only down side is that I got one bum can of paint. It just didn't spray no matter what. All it would do is run all over my hands. Not a big deal, but it did add to the cost a little. I used six cans of paint instead of five.

The cool spray trigger on the Universal definitely saved my hands over the old push down top on a normal can. I found the stuff at Walmart (one bad can) and at Lowes (no bad cans).

In my case the freezer was brand new. I didn't bother to prep anything other than pulling labels and cleaning off adhesive. If it was a used freezer I would have sanded the surface. Wax and furniture polish are *very* bad if you put paint over them. Who know what's happened to a used freezer...

Bob

Any pictures?

Any pictures?

Hi

That would involve taking the cell phone out of the pocket, going out to the garage, turning on the lights and taking a really bad picture of the thing. Next step would involve complex gyrations to get it from the phone up to here. Black paint really doesn't look all that exciting in a picture. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. The project to empty the kegs in Keezer #1 is going very nicely and that has absolutely no impact on any of this :drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

Bob

I've painted several freezers, and it's easy to get a pretty good look. I would definitely use an enamel style appliance paint, or at least something designed specifically for metal. sand with a light grit sand paper, clean with damp cloth, dry, prime and paint. Follow the paint/primer application instructions exactly. Lots of light coats, runs happen very easily.

The problem with any spray paint in a can is that you'll never match the quality of your factory painted appliances. They are powder-coated, enameled, or some similar baked on application. spray paint just doesn't have the same longevity. While you might be able to get it too look very similar at first, in a few years there will be stains and nicks in it that wouldn't occur with a factory painted appliance.

I would try a couple different brands of gloss black on a scrap piece of metal to test which best matches your appliances before committing to half a dozen cans if the match is really important to you.

After google imaging all kinds of paints I really like the look of the Rustoleum Hammered black paint. I think this is the route I'll take, if the prep work is done the outcome looks real nice!

Here's a couple pics of a sub enclosure finished with 3 coats of the hammered paint.

image-1645613087.jpg

image-2738190676.jpg

After google imaging all kinds of paints I really like the look of the Rustoleum Hammered black paint. I think this is the route I'll take, if the prep work is done the outcome looks real nice!

Here's a couple pics of a sub enclosure finished with 3 coats of the hammered paint.

Boom goes the Bass Drop. Dang I miss my days of building Sub Enclosures. That's what led me to woodworking.

Nice work on them. I second the hammered black paint. It's a sharp looking spray paint.

Dale4beer said:

Dead guy on tap? When's the next party?

I bought a used freezer off Craigslist and removed the stickers and adhesives and just gave a good wipe down. Didn't even sand nor did I use a primer...

Just spray painted with 2 cans of black appliance paint.

I think it looks pretty good. Here are some pics.

image-42477208.jpg

image-1713818696.jpg

image-1071689624.jpg

JonGrafto said:
I bought a used freezer off Craigslist and removed the stickers and adhesives and just gave a good wipe down. Didn't even sand nor did I use a primer...

Just spray painted with 2 cans of black appliance paint.

I think it looks pretty good. Here are some pics.

That is a great job!

Another recommendation for the hammered paint. I used it on a hard top for my Jeep. It's been 3 or 4 years out in all the elements and is just now looking like I may want to touch it up in a year or 2. Fwiw I actually bought a regular can and rolled it on rather than the spray can. I think the fact that it's textured eliminates any roller marks, ymmv.

Another recommendation for the hammered paint. I used it on a hard top for my Jeep. It's been 3 or 4 years out in all the elements and is just now looking like I may want to touch it up in a year or 2. Fwiw I actually bought a regular can and rolled it on rather than the spray can. I think the fact that it's textured eliminates any roller marks, ymmv.

Hi

I *really* hate spray paint. Getting the spray on Universal was a major debate here. I gotta admit as a spray paint hater, it went on fine and it all was done in under an hour. The Rustoleum Universal is good stuff.

Bob

Back