Oxyclean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McGrath Brewery

Reaction score
I was cleaning bottles in water and oxyclean but i accidentely left them in there for about three days. Now on the outside and inside of the bottles there is a white power, this comes off by scrubbing but i dont have anything to reach the inside. Any suggestions? and are the bottles still safe to use? :confused:

I've had similar problems with oxyclean as well. Except for that one problem, it's a wonderful product. Oxyclean is a lot like bleach (an acid) except that it goes the other way (it's a base), so, if you have the problem of the oxyclean sediment that just won't go away, even after extensive soaking, try bleaching it. This will cause a titration reaction,

acid (oxyclean)+ base (bleach) ==>
==>bubbles + more water + some precipitate (harmless)

This should make that white oxyclean sediment go away.

Your bottles are still good to use, but I wouldn't use them with that oxyclean sediment in the bottom.

Capt.Obv.

Last time I bottled, I put my bottles into the oven, programmed it to heat up to 300F, left them there for 30 min and then turned the oven off. I thought that this should sanitize them pretty well witout using any chemicals. But you will have to let them cool down in the oven before you can use them.

I only used this method for the non-flip-top bottles, since I was afraid to burn the rubber gasket of the flip-top ones.

Kai said:
Last time I bottled, I put my bottles into the oven, programmed it to heat up to 300F, left them there for 30 min and then turned the oven off. I thought that this should sanitize them pretty well witout using any chemicals. But you will have to let them cool down in the oven before you can use them.

I only used this method for the non-flip-top bottles, since I was afraid to burn the rubber gasket of the flip-top ones.
This is just a trade-off. You are trading ease of sanitizing for time. In the time you use to pre-heat you oven, bake your bottles, then let them cool, I can sanitize 2.5 cases of bottles and even be filling them.

It makes more sense to me to sanitize with Iodophor than using the oven. Since I need to sanitize the bottling bucket anyway, I just fill it with water, mix in the iodophor, dunk/drain the bottles in the bucket, sanitize my siphoning equipment/tubing/wand, then empty out the bucket.

Kai said:

I've read horror stories of bottles breaking with that method. The prolonged exposure to the heat weakens them. Can't justify that, but something to ponder.

ORRELSE said:
I've read horror stories of bottles breaking with that method. The prolonged exposure to the heat weakens them. Can't justify that, but something to ponder.

Thanks, that's a good point that I haven't considered yet. Especially If I plan to reuse the bottles many times and everytime they will have to go through this heating cycle.

As for the time being wasted, I usually clean the bottles the night before, program the oven so the whole cycle (including cooling) is done when I'm ready to bottle.

ORRELSE said:

I just pondered the idea and think there might be some logic. Metal is made softer by heating to a specific heat range which spreads out the molecules making it easier to shape, also known as annealing. Maybe the same can be said to some degree with heating glass.

Kai said:

You had to clean your bottles first right?

sebbeerbiker said:
You had to clean your bottles first right?

Yes you should clean them first.

I liked how it gives me dry and sanitized bottles. And as long as I don't open the oven, they are also unlikely to become contaminated.

Back