Overwhelmed with Options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtr

Reaction score
So, my partner and I have brewed 4 beers now. The last 3 have been partial mash and we've really enjoyed it and want to keep it up. In fact, we plan on doing that for at least another year or so before attempting all-grain. It's still challenging, so we figure we'll stick with it until it gets too easy....

In the mean time, we've had to take a few months off brewing after returning a few borrowed things we were using to brew our batches. The big one being our brewpot.

We've got the money together to invest in something nice, something that will last us a while, but the more I research I do, the less I feel confident in what we're going to buy. We've been doing 6 gallon batches, but we're planning on moving to 10 gallon batches next year (moving in with some folks who are into homebrew). I think we want to go with aluminum, since it's a little cheaper and lighter and we don't know how long we'll use that until we grow again. A 10 gallon pot seems great for now, but if we go to 10 gallon batches, that won't really be enough, will it?

One of our brewing friends told us if we're going with a pot that big, we'll need to start using a propane burner. Alright...buy that separate then? What about these turkey fryers people seem to be finding good deals on? They come with an aluminum pot, right?

Okay, and if all that wasn't enough to consider, we're also hoping to move away from our bucket-in-a-bucket (wrapped in insulation) MLT to something a little more reliable, like a modified cooler. So, if I understand correctly, a 5 gallon cooler would be enough for a 5 gallon AG batch...does that mean it would be okay for a 10 gallon PM batch? Or should we look into a 10 gallon cooler since we might be brewing a lot more next year?

And then, false bottom or manifold?

Sheesh. I just want to brew my Koelsch. ;)

....We've got the money together to invest in something nice, something that will last us a while, but the more I research I do, the less I feel confident in what we're going to buy. We've been doing 6 gallon batches, but we're planning on moving to 10 gallon batches next year (moving in with some folks who are into homebrew). I think we want to go with aluminum, since it's a little cheaper and lighter and we don't know how long we'll use that until we grow again. A 10 gallon pot seems great for now, but if we go to 10 gallon batches, that won't really be enough, will it?

Contrary to what some may say, if properly taken care of, an aluminum pot can last forever. I use the 6.5G turkey fryer burner+pot combo for my 5G batches, and it works great. As long as you boil water in it and build up the oxidized layer on the inside of the pot, it will be fine. You can easily clean it with a light scrubber and soapy water. For 10G batches, I recently stepped up to using a converted keg. It works amazingly well on the same turkey fryer burner, even with 12G in the vessel. If you can find something in your price range that is aluminum, don't worry that it will fail or something. Even poorly made steel pots can rust or become unusable without proper care.

One of our brewing friends told us if we're going with a pot that big, we'll need to start using a propane burner. Alright...buy that separate then? What about these turkey fryers people seem to be finding good deals on? They come with an aluminum pot, right?

Absolutely! 5G indoors is impossible for me- not enough BTUs on my stove, and even if they were there, I wouldn't use them anyway since brewing can make a mess that SWMBO will murder me for. I like to avoid being murdered. Brewing outside is fun anyway, so it is win-win. In my case, my propane burner that came in a turkey fryer kit also happens to work with my keg and 10G batches, I've just discovered recently. YMMV depending on wind and ambient temperatures. I am not 100% certain it will work so smooth for 10G in winter-time, but I'll wait and see anyway.

Okay, and if all that wasn't enough to consider, we're also hoping to move away from our bucket-in-a-bucket (wrapped in insulation) MLT to something a little more reliable, like a modified cooler. So, if I understand correctly, a 5 gallon cooler would be enough for a 5 gallon AG batch...does that mean it would be okay for a 10 gallon PM batch? Or should we look into a 10 gallon cooler since we might be brewing a lot more next year?

I don't recall how much the 5G coolers cost, but I thought they were more than 1/2 the cost of the 10G kind. With that being said, for a few bucks more, it makes tons of sense to just have something that is big enough that you wont be limited in what you want to brew in the future. IIRC, depending on your efficiency, you can't go much higher than ~1.060 in a 5G cooler because of the volume requirements of that much grain+water (maybe someone else can chime in on this?). A 10G cooler can easily do a 10G batch, and as strong of a 5G batch as you would ever want.

Have fun!

And then, false bottom or manifold?
Sheesh. I just want to brew my Koelsch. ;)

Then get on it! :)

Aluminum is fine. I'm building a new SS keggle, but the aluminum stock pot I've been using for the past two years is still in perfect shape, and I'm sure it will last the guy I'm selling it to for as long as he want to brew with it. It's way more sturdy and well made than the thin SS pots my LHBS sells. The only thing I don't like about it is the size (60 qts, which is just barely big enough for a 10 gal batch with a 60 min boil). If you plan on brewing 10 gal batches, you'll need at least a 12 gal pot, and preferably 15 gal.

The turkey fryer burner or an electric system is a must for full boils of large batches. Some turkey fryer kits come with a SS pot, some come with aluminum, and you can also buy just the burner. I couldn't find one with a pot as large as I wanted, so I bought the burner with no pot.

A 5 gal cooler will only hold enough grain to make a 1.059-1.069 OG 5 gallon batch (depending on efficiency). IMHO a 10 gal cooler is the perfect size for 5 gal batches, and is a little small for 10 gal batches, but would work well for 10 gal PM batches.

As far as false bottom vs manifold, I think it depends on how you will be sparging. If you're going to batch sparge it doesn't really matter. The SS mesh hose is cheap and easy and works great for batch sparging. If fly sparging, the false bottom will work very well if the sides are sealed properly, but they can be pretty expensive. A properly designed manifold can work almost as well, and is much cheaper to build yourself, but takes some time to put together.

Back