Overshot mash temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,
Just mashed in about 20 minutes ago, overshot my temp by 5 degrees. If I let the temp coast down to where I wanted it, will those enzymes still work at the lower temp, or would I be better off just leaving it at the higher temp to ensure complete conversion? I was supposed to hit 145, but hit 150 instead.

Thanks

I thought about that, but I'm doing a BIAB, so by the time I stirred the mash once the thermometer said 145, the grain had been sitting in the hotter water for a while (a case where the hot water was trapped at the bottom by the grain). So now it's been about 25 minutes, the mash has dropped to 145, but I'm worried that the enzymes that would have been working on the mash at 145 were destroyed by the higher temperature, and that the enzymes that would work at the higher temp won't work at 145. I'm probably worrying too much.

Always wait five minutes or so for temps to equalize before trusting your thermometer.

I don't think 150F will denature many enzymes you're wanting to use at 145F.

I've never done BIAB, but it seems to me that you could easily lower temps by pulling the bag out for a minute or two.

Moonpile, I never thought of taking the bag out! :confused: I think for my next BIAB brew I just need to remember to stir from time to time if I'm heating the grains with the water, and maybe take the bag out if I overshoot. I decided to leave it stay at around 149-150. It'll probably be okay. Next step is to work out my no-chill procedure :mug: Got the steel racking cane, silicone tubing, and my container, but I've never been good at siphoning, but I think I've got a plan :drunk:

Thanks for the insight!

Soperbrew, it was the wheat beer recipe from Big Brew this past year. Finally got around to brewing it!

Now I'm not concerned about the mash. The transferring a no-chill is a pain if you can't get a siphon to work!

From what I've read and understand, higher mash temperatures yield less fermentable sugars and more dextrins which leads to a fuller bodied but less alcoholic beer. Lower fermentation temperatures for longer periods of time leads to more fermentable sugars and less dextrins so your beer will have more alcohol but less body. I'm a noob, but I've been studying up a lot lol. Someone else here will surely chime in and give you a better explanation. I usually shoot for 154 F so that I feel like I'm getting the best of both worlds.

145F is a pretty low temp. It's ok if you know your system very well and are sure that it truly is 145F your getting. Missing a few degrees on the downside could be a big issue. I've missed on some brews due to equipment problems or stupid mistakes, but usually when shooting for 153F or so. The miss never really hurt that much in those cases.

I just had a similar experience - first time trying BIAB (well, first time mashing anything really), and I had the same thing happen to me - the thermometer in the mash seems to get insulated by the grains. My temp dropped a bit when I added the gains, so I kept turning up the heat... waited a few minutes and checked the temp again, but it hadn't risen, so I turned it up again... after the third time I decided to take the lid off and check, when i saw bubbling water. Gave it a stir and the thermometer read 174F :eek:

I added a few glasses of cold water and some ice cubes to cool it down, but I also didn't even think about taking the bag out (might have been a pain with all the clips holding it to the sides of the brew pot).

Guess I just need to make sure I hit the right temp the first time....

I added a few glasses of cold water and some ice cubes to cool it down, but I also didn't even think about taking the bag out (might have been a pain with all the clips holding it to the sides of the brew pot).

Ah, I've got a workaround for that: my grain bag isn't quite big enough to fit my kettle, but wraps brilliantly around the steamer basket. So next time if I overshoot, I just lift the whole basket out. Also, when it comes time to take the grain out, I can just angle the basket on top of the kettle and let it drain as opposed to finding a way to squeeze the hot bag or hang it to drain.

I must admit, easiest brew ever!

Unfortunately no action shots. I'll try to take some tomorrow or this weekend of my setup, and how my above stated works, but how do I post them? Do you have to be a supporting member to upload pics?

fyi, (and sorry to totally hijack this thread), but i just cracked open the first of this batch, and it seemed to turn out ok. Actually pretty darn happy with it being my first partial mash.

Tiamat, hijack away! I actually forgot about this thread. My gravity turned out just a tad low (1.049, was aiming for 1.052), but my FG was about spot-on. Still need to get some photos posted. Gonna drill out my kettle and install a ball valve first...

Back