Overshot BG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spawn-Inc

Reaction score
I'm making an Innis and Gunn clone (link to recipe) and I hit 1.070 before i boil. I just added about 3/4 of a gallon of water and have dropped it to 1.053. I checked it on 2 hydrometers and a refractometer so i don't think it's an error on my end.

I'm using a robobrew v3 and this is not the first time i've overshot my BG. I checked the brewhouse efficiency calculator and apparently got 87% efficiency.

That isn't an indication of a problem, it indicates that you didn't expect that efficiency and adjust the amount of base malt to account for it If you are buying your grains already milled you will have difficulty hitting the OG expected because the quality of the milling leads directly to the efficiency. Any change of suppliers or any adjustment of the mill by the LHBS will get you varying brewhouse efficiencies. The only cure for that is to own the mill. Otherwise you accept the differences.

I do mill my own so i guess it's a matter of adjusting the base grains as you suggest. thx for the help.

Back