Over carbed but no pour pressure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheyneco

Reaction score
Having trouble with my ciders having too much carbonation... So I lower the PSI on the co2 regulator but then when I pour it is extremely slow. I like it at 5psi at 35 degrees. How can I keep the temp, keep the carbonation level, but get more flow out of the tap? I'm running about 5 feet of 3/16" line from the keg to the tap.

Should I raise the temp and psi, or shorten the line? Both? I want a normal pour flow like you would see at a bar with a lightly carbonated Cider.

A nice slow pour at the desired carb level is usually something that most of us strive for! Personally I'd leave it as is. Shortening the line a bit will speed it up in this case.

Shortening the line or using larger diameter line (1/4") will be the best way to balance that system if you want to keep it at that low carb level and maintain a good pour.

A nice slow pour at the desired carb level is usually something that most of us strive for! Personally I'd leave it as is. Shortening the line a bit will speed it up in this case.

What is the recommended time it should take to pour a pint? I'm sure it is posted somewhere, but I haven't searched for it yet. :) It takes me about 10 seconds to draw a pint on my system.

Having trouble with my ciders having too much carbonation... So I lower the PSI on the co2 regulator but then when I pour it is extremely slow. I like it at 5psi at 35 degrees. How can I keep the temp, keep the carbonation level, but get more flow out of the tap? I'm running about 5 feet of 3/16" line from the keg to the tap.

Should I raise the temp and psi, or shorten the line? Both? I want a normal pour flow like you would see at a bar with a lightly carbonated Cider.

Sounds like you need to take the time to balance your system. You shouldn't have to be tinkering with serving pressure to get a correct pour, the pressure should be set to whatever carb level you want to maintain.

If your ciders are too carbonated then fix that first - how are you carbing? For the currently overcarbed keg unhook it and degas it for a while. Once you dial in the carb levels you want to run then cut you lines long enough that you can get a nice pour without foam. 10 sec doesn't sound to bad for a home system, it's not like you have 10 customers lined up behind you waiting, right? I prefer to go a little longer with a slightly slow pour than risking foaming.

Edit: rereading you post are you sure you cider is overcarbed? Or do you mean it is pouring foamy? Because 35* ad 5 psi is only about 2.0 vols of CO2, much less then I would expect with a commercial cider. I like my ciders up around 2.7.
Use the carb chart to find your correct pressure, then use this line balancing calculator to determine what length hose you need.

Thank you for the replies.

I should clarify... My Cider isn't currently over carbed, it's at 5psi but the pour is incredibly slow. It probably takes 45-60 seconds to fill a glass. If I'm filling a growler it takes several minutes.

I tried turning it up to increase pour speed, which resulted in over carbing.

I have been kinda playing this game lately of opening the cooler, turning up the pressure, and pouring glasses. When I'm finished for the night I degas the keg and turn it back to 5psi.

I will try shortening the line first, and if that doesn't work I'll try a larger diameter line. Thank you!

I tried turning it up to increase pour speed, which resulted in over carbing.

I think you are confusing an unbalanced system with overcarbing. A perfectly carbed beer will foam if poured on an unbalanced system - it's not overcarbonated, the lines are too short. 5 ft is almost always too short for the average home system. For example, I run most of my kegs at 14 psi, 40-41*F keezer, giving about 2.6-2.65 vols, and I use 11-12 ft lines. DO NOT get the larger diameter lines, this will be even worse (you would need like 40 ft lines to balance). Do yourself a favor and use the calculator that I linked. If you get it balanced correctly you should never have to play with adjusting serving pressures.

Back