Oven sanitizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howbrewyoudo

Reaction score
I have been sanitizing my bottles in the oven without issue. I am wondering if anyone has an answer to how long the bottles will stay sanitized after if sealed with aluminum foil, or rather how long after other oven sanitizers have bottled with bottles from the oven without any problems?

I would recommend you use Starsan and save yourself some time. Either that or use your dishwasher without any detergent. Much safer for the glass. Glass tends to break down because of the high heat of the oven.

But yes, you are fine as long as the foil has a good seal

I would recommend you use Starsan and save yourself some time. Either that or use your dishwasher without any detergent. Much safer for the glass. Glass tends to break down because of the high heat of the oven.

He wasn't asking about alternative methods.

I have waited a few days before using my bottles and had no issues. That said, when bottling day comes, if I have a few bottles left with foil still on them from the last time I sanitized I usually just throw them back in the oven with the "new" bottles for peace of mind.

He wasn't asking about alternative methods.

Easy there. Someone must be having a bad day. Just recommending an alternative way so that he can prevent his glass from breaking down. Don't get so defensive jr. Have a beer and relax, it's Friday!!!!

I would think they would be sterile as long as you leave the oven door closed, as the heat should have sterilized your entire oven, and the door seal should be airtight. That having been said, I'm still a dishwasher man through and through.

Palmer says that if you put the foil over the mouths of the bottles BEFORE putting them in the oven, you can take everything out afterward and they'll stay sanitized indefinitely as long as the foil is tight.

I have been sanitizing my bottles in the oven without issue. I am wondering if anyone has an answer to how long the bottles will stay sanitized after if sealed with aluminum foil, or rather how long after other oven sanitizers have bottled with bottles from the oven without any problems?

they are sanitized until they cool below 140 degrees. After that its luck.

This sounds odd to me. It's OK to get them hot enough to sanitize them in the dishwasher, but not OK to get them hot enough to sanitize them in the oven? I can set my oven as low as 170 and high heat dishwashers preheat the rinse water to at least 180 according to my Google search.

I think there is a little confusion here between sanitizing and sterilization of the bottles. I use the dishwasher to clean and sanitize the bottles not sterilize the bottles. That and I have no idea how it would be possible to over sanitize anything.

Latest posts

Back