Original gravity question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osoling

Reaction score
Hello all,

So, I just finished brewing a lovely American Pale Ale. The recipe tells me that the original gravity should be 1.052. My refractometer tells me that the OG is 10.036. What gives. What did I do wrong? I did indeed follow the recipe. Should I be worried? I usually use the "hey, at least I made beer" option, but I would like to make the best beer I can.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Couple things - all grain or extract? If it was extract and it was a kit/known recipe (and you have the correct volume), relax, you probably are a lot closer to 1.052.

If it's all grain, there are a lot more variables, but grain crush is the first thing to look at. Was it crushed by the LHBS or by you? If by you, how's your roller gap on your mill?

Finally - is your refractometer properly calibrated?

If all else fails, like you said, you DID still make beer.

It was extract, so I'm not too worried. I do need to calibrate my refracrometer. It seems, the more I use it, that it's always a touch off.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back