Original Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puzx

Reaction score
Hello,
I am brewing an American Amber Ale from a Brewer’s Best beer kit. The recipe calls for an original gravity of between 1.050 to 1.054. My reading, at 62 degrees, came to 1.044. Is there reason for concern I came that much under? What could I have done wrong? I did not spill any Malt extract, and ensured I put all of it, followed the recipe step by step.
What will be the impact to my beer?
Thanks

Since it was extract, 2 likely reasons. 1 is more water than was called for. The other reason is, if it was lme, it wasn't evenly mixed. Worst problem is a little thinner and less hoppy than planned, but still.good. Best scenario is it mixes better while fermenting and comes out ad planned.

Is your lawnmower in good order? If so, things are going your way.

Beer is beer. You're doing fine. You will enjoy drinking your beer. You will get better at brewing. Next time, you will get closer to your OG.

tenor.gif

I brewed my second batch yesterday. I followed a Kölsch extract recipe from the Ballast Point website. I made one minor change. The recipe called for 6lbs golden light DME. I used 3lbs golden light and 3lbs pilsen. There is also some steeping grains. 5lbs Carmel 10l and .5lbs honey.
Anyhow, OG on the recipe says 1.049. When I punched it in Brewers friend, it says it should be 1.052. Not much different. I got 1.060 @ 61*. Quite a bit off. I may have had a little over 1lb total steeping grains, but it wasn’t that far off.
🤷🏻‍♂️

No one cares. Drink it. it will be fine. You're doing great. You'll do better next time. You can add hot water after boiling if it happens again. Won't take much. If you end up with more wort than you can ferment, pour some down the toilet. It's not a crime.

Make sure you're measuring gravity reasonably correctly. Also, if you weigh stuff yourself, be careful. I guess this is obvious, but make sure you end up with 5 gallons, not 4.

No one cares. Drink it. it will be fine. You're doing great. You'll do better next time. You can add hot water after boiling if it happens again. Won't take much. If you end up with more wort than you can ferment, pour some down the toilet. It's not a crime.

Make sure you're measuring gravity reasonably correctly. Also, if you weigh stuff yourself, be careful. I guess this is obvious, but make sure you end up with 5 gallons, not 4.
🤣😬
I actually filled the fermenter to about 5.5 gal. Knowing I’ll lose some with gravity testing. I just thought it interesting. I was shooting for an abv around 5, but will drink it all the same if it’s 6+.
🍻

Latest posts

Back