Orange Cascade v2.0 Brewday has begun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was pretty pissed, never had a bad batch in 4 years... so I was going to let it sit. I have 8 kegs, so I dont NEED the keg. Been consuming a lot of steak and OC v2.0 lately.

Been consuming a lot of steak and OC v2.0 lately.

That sounds great! I know that my OC was the fastest drained keg to date. I have not brewed in a while because demand just wasn't keeping up with production but I plan on brewing up 1 or 2 batches for the summer.

Didn't you do 10 gallons of this? Is your other 5 just sitting in a keg aging or something?

That sounds great! I know that my OC was the fastest drained keg to date. I have not brewed in a while because demand just wasn't keeping up with production but I plan on brewing up 1 or 2 batches for the summer.

Didn't you do 10 gallons of this? Is your other 5 just sitting in a keg aging or something?

I brewed 5 gallons

I followed the original recipe minus the dry-hopping, and after a month in bottles, it's a huge hit. Is the dry-hopping an aroma in your face deal? or does it really contribute to the flavor? This is definetly going to be a regular recipe, now I'm curious what I missed with the dry-hopping

Ahoy hoy,
I knew you could never dump a batch of OC! We were all feeling sorry for you, and now, your drinking it. I feel emotionally used :D
I have a batch bottled, a batch kegged, and a batch waiting for dry hopping.
You sir, are falling dangerously behind in summer ready ales. I insist you get back to brewing immediately!
I would charge for such timely advice, but in these near death instances, I do it for the people......:p

You know... my silicone hoses just arrived, the last sight gauge is going on as well. I will be brewing shortly. I have 110+ pounds of grain ready to be mashed.

Here is the OC v2.0 in the glass...

P1020452.jpg

Pol-
I'm brewing the OC this week, and I wondered why you have leaf for bittering and pellet for dry hop? I usually work the other way round.
-Ben

I used pellet for dry hop because it settles out well when I crash the beer. Leaf soaks up A LOT of beer and clogs my autosyphon/keg valves much more readily.

I like to use SOME leaf in the kettle, because coupled with my SS mesh filter, it keeps a lot of junk out of my fermentor, that is my rationale. Through experience, I just prefer to roll that way with leaf vs. pellet

Pol.
Thanks for the explanation. Since I want to make this beer and Austin Home Brew was out of cascade when I was there last weekend, Here is my adjusted hop schedule based on what I had already, a little less than 4 oz Cascade leaf and an ounce of Amarillo, which I subbed in the full boil since it's going to be primarily used for bittering. I had to swap out weight for IBU, using recipe ounce x IBU divided by IBU of what you have equals ounce of what to use, and from what I've read, 10% utilization for pellet over leaf.
.74oz Amarillo 8.9% pellet FWH 90
1.18 Cascade 7.2 leaf boil 10
1.18 Cascade 7.2 leaf boil 5
1.18 Cascade 7.2 leaf boil 1
I will be able to pick up more cascade for dry hop by the secondary or kegging time.

Pol.
Thanks for the explanation. Since I want to make this beer and Austin Home Brew was out of cascade when I was there last weekend, Here is my adjusted hop schedule based on what I had already, a little less than 4 oz Cascade leaf and an ounce of Amarillo, which I subbed in the full boil since it's going to be primarily used for bittering. I had to swap out weight for IBU, using recipe ounce x IBU divided by IBU of what you have equals ounce of what to use, and from what I've read, 10% utilization for pellet over leaf.
.74oz Amarillo 8.9% pellet FWH 90
1.18 Cascade 7.2 leaf boil 10
1.18 Cascade 7.2 leaf boil 5
1.18 Cascade 7.2 leaf boil 1
I will be able to pick up more cascade for dry hop by the secondary or kegging time.

Sounds good... this is an excellent beer, and I will be sad to see it go. I will be brewing a Sierra Nevada Clone sometime next mont to take its tap.

Be careful using the armillo as a FWH. If the idea is just to get bittering throw it in at 60 or 90. If you FWH it then you'll end up getting a lot of aroma and some flavor i believe from it. Which is fine unless you wanted just bittering and the cascade to stand alone in the hop profile. IMHO

Be careful using the armillo as a FWH. If the idea is just to get bittering throw it in at 60 or 90. If you FWH it then you'll end up getting a lot of aroma and some flavor i believe from it. Which is fine unless you wanted just bittering and the cascade to stand alone in the hop profile. IMHO

He is doing it right... for this recipe there is no 60 or 90 minute addition. If you look at the recipe I used in the OP, there is just a FWH and then the 10-5-1 minute additions.

Well, Pol , I have put this one on my short list.

I just tasted my Two Heart (the one that the HLT died on) and was quite surprised at how well it came out. Since I really love this beer, I may just do a follow on and pitch right onto the yeast cake.

I got my HLT fixed yesterday with a 4500w element that I had laying around (the SSR is 40A, but small heat sink, and the box has a fan).

Since you use bottled water, I was wondering how you "mix" it ? IIRC, there were more spring than distilled.

Well, Pol , I have put this one on my short list.

I just tasted my Two Heart (the one that the HLT died on) and was quite surprised at how well it came out. Since I really love this beer, I may just do a follow on and pitch right onto the yeast cake.

I got my HLT fixed yesterday with a 4500w element that I had laying around (the SSR is 40A, but small heat sink, and the box has a fan).

Since you use bottled water, I was wondering how you "mix" it ? IIRC, there were more spring than distilled.

On my initial HLT fill, I use ONE more spring than I do distilled.

My OC brew morning went well. I went to Home Depot during the mash to get a paint strainer, every size was sold out. What gives? HD is always out of what I am looking for.
regardless, I doubled up 2 grain bags and got to work. I got 65% efficiency, ended up with 1.062 (I added 1 extra lb of Maris Otter). The smells were great.
Here are a couple pics of the stuff. I used 1 ounce of home made orange peel from clementines, and 1 ounce of LHBS peel. You can see the difference between my first peelings, having more pith on them, and my second peelings, being only zest, and the LHBS which looks old and stale by comparison. Also I blew it and only picked up 1/8 oz coriander at the beer store, so I had to get a jar of coriander seeds. The HBS seeds smelled sweet, and the spice jar ones smelled peppery. Both had the same grassy taste once crushed in the mouth, so I used 3/4 oz, blending the two.
IMG_3479.jpg

IMG_3480.jpg

Kicked this on 6-6-09... sad day. My SNPA clone is getting kegged tomorrow!

Day 4 of dry hop in the keg, amazing, it tastes just like a cascade hop smells but with an orange finish..... perfect on a 92˚ day by the pool...

My FIL actually kicked the keg... oh well, I have some beers that I brewed last fall that will hit the taps for now!.

So will this be your next batch? I know you can't live w/out it...

Naw... I need to get my Hefe in the primary soon... so that SHOULD be the next up, my SNPA will be the next hoppy beer on tap.

I brewed a 10 gallon batch on Friday, it smells so good! I got distracted during the boil talking to a friend that stopped over and I ended up with 9 gallons (not 11 like I shoot for) at a gravity of 1.060. Can't wait to get this one on tap!

Well, I FINALLY got this one brewed! I did end up with a sparging issue ( forgot to add some rice hulls). It didn't stop, but barely trickled for a long time, and ended up messing with my initial brew volume.

Yeah, I have a pretty fine crush on the Barley Crusher, which has worked with hulls before.

I hit this with Wyeast 1056 that was harvested and it is kicking away at 63*.

Back