OR/WA Brew Day v2.0??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Don, did you mean Potassium Metabisulfite? I can't find the Sodium anywhere, but the LHBS had Potassium.

Either one will work fine. I used Sodium Metabisulfite. You should be able to get it, it's packed in Portland (Isn't Brewcraft formerly Steinbart's?).

Sodium M 002.jpg

Sodium M 004.jpg

OK I'm finally back in this thread. I've never seen sodium metasulfite in 5 lb bags before, but I've seen it at the LHBS. I shop at Let's Brew, so that's probably why. Potassium metasulfite will work just fine as well.

I am also go for the idea of a Flemish Brown. I like the idea of sour cherries too to make it a kriek once we rack into the barrel for secondary. Count me in for 10 gallons too.

There's a connection between Steinbarts and Brewcraft (that's all they carry is Brewcraft stuff) but I don't know who owns who. And that's actually where I went. Maybe I'll just ask. As Evil said I didn't see anything in 5 lb bags, just 2 oz baggies.

I had something like this in mind. My take on an Oud Bruin.

Oud Bruin

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 10.00 Wort Size (Gal): 10.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 17.50
Anticipated OG: 1.048 Plato: 11.85
Anticipated SRM: 17.1
Anticipated IBU: 16.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
82.9 14.50 lbs. Pilsener Belgium 1.037 2
8.6 1.50 lbs. CaraVienne Malt Belgium 1.034 22
5.7 1.00 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
2.9 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt Belgium 1.030 500

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
0.75 oz. Styrian Goldings Pellet 5.25 9.7 60 min.
0.50 oz. Tettnanger Tettnang Pellet 4.50 5.5 60 min.
0.50 oz. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.50 1.1 15 min.

Yeast
-----

Wyeast 3763 Roselare

Mash for 60 min. at 150°

It's a lighter Crystal. According to Liefman's website, Goudenband is all Pilsener and Caramel malts.

I use Pilsener, Caravienne and Caramunich in my Tripel

OK, so it looks like as of right now we have 20 gallons...I don't want to assume just cause your in the conversation that you will be brewing. So, if you are brewing let me know. My thought is that everyone will brew this on their own then we can set a date to have everyone come down to Portland and we can put all the batches in the barrel. Does that work, are do we need another brew day and I need to make room for 11 carboys in my basement!?!?!??

The recipe and style look great to me and I would like to contribute 5 gallons to the barrel.

I've updated the first post with confirmed Brewers.

Don, do you have a line on the Roesalare? Being a VSS I'm not sure that it's going to still be around.

PS: I freaking love thunderstorms!!! Just had a nice crackle roll through.

I'm OK with the idea of making the primary batch at home, then once it's done to bring it all together to rack into the barrel. I know some people live rather far from Portland, and can't always flitter off here on a whim.

Just got back from Steinbarts. Picked up some Citric Acid and Sodium Metabisulphite. Barrel is doing great, finally holding water.

They didn't have any more of the Roesalare though. So if you find some let us know Don, otherwise let's choose another yeast. Lambic Blend maybe?

I'm thinking we should set a brew date in September, then a barrel date 3 - 4 weeks after that. Just to throw something out there, brew on Sept. 20th, barrel on Oct 18th?

Interested in getting one batch of yeast and making a large starter for those that are local?

I will brew a bit earlier since I will be out of town on the 20th just to make sure its ready.

OK, so I've been OOP for awhile and need to catch up. Is below what we're making? I'm still in for 5 gallons, and can deliver by the Oct. date.

I had something like this in mind. My take on an Oud Bruin.

Oud Bruin

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 10.00 Wort Size (Gal): 10.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 17.50
Anticipated OG: 1.048 Plato: 11.85
Anticipated SRM: 17.1
Anticipated IBU: 16.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
82.9 14.50 lbs. Pilsener Belgium 1.037 2
8.6 1.50 lbs. CaraVienne Malt Belgium 1.034 22
5.7 1.00 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
2.9 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt Belgium 1.030 500

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
0.75 oz. Styrian Goldings Pellet 5.25 9.7 60 min.
0.50 oz. Tettnanger Tettnang Pellet 4.50 5.5 60 min.
0.50 oz. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.50 1.1 15 min.

Yeast
-----

Wyeast 3763 Roselare

Mash for 60 min. at 150°

Yes sir. As I mentioned earlier, the yeast is probably not to be found so we'll have to change that. I also haven't scoped out the availability of the hops yet.

PS, don't put those dates in stone just yet. SWMBO is heading out of town that following weekend in Oct (25th) so that may be a better date, at least for me. Anyone see an issue with an Oct 25th barrel filling party?

If we have the Taphouse open by then, I probably won't make it. Maybe I can work something out with McKBrew to take my portion down if he ends up going? I'd definitely be in for contributing at least 5 gallons.

Just so I am clear, is the plan to brew the specified recipe and then mix? What lee-way/flexibility will be allowed in our individual batches?

I had a Flanders Red this last weekend that was a club brew that Cascade Brewers Society had done. And IIRC, each member brewed their own version of a Flanders Red then they all combined into a Pinot Noir barrel. The beer was outstanding.

Perhaps Natas can chime in if he sees this and provide some insight to their process.

Just got back from Steinbarts.

They didn't have any more of the Roesalare though. So if you find some let us know Don, otherwise let's choose another yeast. Lambic Blend maybe?

My LHBS is out of the Roselare. I think the Lambic Blend would be a good choice.

My thought on the recipe is to use the base one posted by Brewtopia as a guide. If you'd like to tweak it go for it. I think that will be part of the fun with this. I'm not going to hold a gun to anyone's head and force a recipe on them. Just thought it would be good to have a base and go from there.

Yes, we have a 60 gal Pinot Noir barrel from a local winery. We all brewed up our own version of a Flanders Red, based on the Rodenbach recipe, fermented it out with a neutral yeast such as 1056 or whatever. We then all filled up the barrel and inoculated it with a liter of Brettanomyces lambicus. It sat in the barrel for 18 months then racked back out and some folks bottled it, others kegged it, I've got mine sitting on a lb of Montemorecy cherries. I'll be bottling it soon. Our next batch to go into the barrel is going to be a club lambic.

as far as getting enough critters to inoculate the beer, contact Wyeast and tell them you need a brewers pitch of Brett. They can dole you up a liter size or whatever you need.

I'm giving the SWMBO the heads up that I'll probably be coming down in Oct. Not 100% yet, but I'd like to add at least 5 gallons to the barrel.

Thanks Natas. Much appreciated. I'll see if Wyeast can help us out with the bugs.

Brewtopia/McKBrew...if you need a place to crash let me know.

Ok kids...I've been emailing back and forth with the kind folks at Wyeast They recommend a blend of Bruxellinsis and Lambicus for the barrel aging period (1 year) and recommend a liter of the bugs for the big batch. Normally this would cost us over $100, but they have offered to donate the bugs in exchange for 3 gallons of the final brew. Sounds like more than fair enough if you ask me. If anyone sees any issue with this please let me know otherwise I'll give them the thumbs up.

Donate 3 gallons of the finished product in leiu of paying $100?? I'm sold! I may accidentally go over on my runnings by 3 gallons ;)

k, I went a little nutso and picked up the ingredients for brewtopia's recipe above. Yes, for the 10 gallon batch. I also picked up fittings to convert a larger cooler to a mashtun, now all I need is... well.... the cooler.

Sweet. I haven't picked up my ingredients yet. Where you able to locate the hops Brewtopia has in the recipe or did you sub? Steinbarts didn't have any of the hops last I checked.

The primary fermentation would be done at our location correct? So what yeast would we want to use for primary, if we couldn't get a wacky bacteria filled nightmare locally? Would a standard Belgian Ale yeast work? Sorry for the three dumb questions, I'm just trying to make sure I know what the heck I am doing on my end.

Kilted I already have the hops on hand, so I didn't pick any of those up. I did happen to see all three of the hops (including saaz, I was surprised) at Let's Brew down on 82nd and Stark.

McKbrew, the plan is we're going to ferment out our primary batches at home with a regular neutral yeast. OR, if you want, you can use a belgian yeast. Then when primary fermentation is done we all show up and Kilted's house, rack our batches into the barrel, he pitches the bugs, we seal up the bunghole, drink all his beer, make some long distance phone calls, pass out in the backyard.

Evil's got it right. Brew at your place at your leisure. We'll gather in Portland on October 25th to fill the barrel, drink all my beer and pass out in the backyard. SWMBO is gone that weekend so it's all good.

I'm planning on being there and will likely take you up on the offer to pass out in the backyard.

Back