Opinions on a pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it definitely would be nice to have a pump that will pump boiling wort, it is a great way to sanitize it. You will be pushing the temp limit on that pump as well. If possible I would recommend saving up for a March pump, they really do seem to work well. Barring that I have had good results using this pump

Taco Bronze Cartridge Circulator Pump 1/40 HP New! - eBay (item 300323145717 end time Jun-23-09 10:46:59 PDT)

But it was hard to get it working just like I wanted it and it still doesn't hold a prime very well. You can look in to the threads on peristaltic pumps, though as of yet I don't think there is a really easy way for us to build them without a lathe or CAD directed Mill.

*Edit: by hard to get it working i mean I had to modify some wiring (used to have a temp sensor to turn it on and off) I also had to unsolder a pipe section so it would prime easier.

The specs didn't say anything about compliance with FDA. I'd contact the manufacturer before using it for the wort. For pumping heating or cooling water should be OK.

One other point, the flow rate is less than half that of the March pump that is popular here.

Back