Opaque Mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LudovicoManin

Reaction score
Hey there fellow forumites. Stupid question.

I am new to the game... well, I did it long ago, got sick for several years, then came back with renewed vigor. That being said, I know a little about a lot, but not a lot about anything. I am making some Candy Cane mead. According to multiple sources, I was told to dissolve the candy canes in hot water and then follow all the other steps to start fermentation.

I am about 10 days in and this mead is not becoming any clearer. Dissolving the recipe's specified amount made this nasty pink color that is completely opaque. THe yeasties are doing their job and gobbling up the sugar, but it is not getting any clearer. Checking the bottom of the carboy, there isn't really any slag sinking.

Is this a problem? Will it eventually clear? Is cloudy mead a problem? Anything I can add to clarify?

Thanks in advance.

10 days is nothing for a mead.

Not a problem. It will likely clear eventually. Cloudy mead is ugly and may taste like yeast. There a plenty of things you can add. None will clear before the yeast is done. Time is the least expensive clarifying agent and it's really hard to overdose.

I mean, I know it has a long way to go, I was just more or less asking. I haven't dealt with one that is THIS opaque... so I wasn't sure if it will all settle out.

Wait for a month, taste, rack off glunk, wait another month, taste, wait another month….repeat. How long depends on your recipe and temperature.
Mead is a marathon, not a sprint

Latest posts

Back