Oops...forgot to sanitize keg...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kharmajavah

Reaction score
So, I'm kegging a delicious porter. I cleaned everything, sanitized everything, siphoned the beer into the keg, sealed it up...and...

...suddenly, realized that I had forgotten to sanitize the keg itself.

I had cleaned it and rinsed it...just no StarSan like I usually do.

I don't THINK that anything bad will happen. In fact, I'm almost sure that nothing bad will happen. But, has anyone else accidentally engaged in this kind of forgetfulness, and if so...what happened?

Hopefully nothing :drunk:

well, you've increased the risk for it to get infected, but that's not a guarantee. if it was well cleaned, especially the dip tube and poppets, you should be ok. It'll be one of those stories you can share with others that had an accident while sanitizing.

Since it was post fermentation, the chances of infection are very low. You are dealing with a substance that has ~5% alcohol content and a pH of 4.3-4.7 (once its carbonated at least). Also, you're keeping it cold and it has very little sugar content left. There's not that many bugs that could 'take hold' in those conditions. At the worst, it will shorten the kegerator life to, I don't know, maybe 6 months.

On a side note, I once did this exact same thing with my primary fermenter, which is much worse. Well, the beer was fine. I did drink it quick just in case.

Back