Oops... did I just scratch my glass carboys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostofdavid

Reaction score
Formerly Cincinnati, OH; Currently Columbus, IN
I was mentally getting prepared to brew Listermann's Bitter beer kit when I realized that the carboy I had just purchased has some ick on the rims and bell curve from the last guy whom I purchased the equipment from.

I zealously used my "l" brush to clean the carboy and dumped the hot water out into the sink. As I did, I noticed that a bunch of dark lines are now on the upper neck of the bottle as a result of my cleaning (maybe it was there before?). If it isn't scratched, it looks scuffed. I tried buffing it with paper towels and elbow grease to no avail.... my brewing plans are ruined for the night and the wife is (sorta) glad because I can take her out to dinner now instead of being an uncommunicative individual for the next 5 hours.

I'm trying to relax and have a home brew, but I'm saving my first batch for my Saint Patty's Day party tomorrow... so instead I bought Shiner Bohemian Black... and I'll enjoy those when I get home.

Thanks, community, for your help. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOMGWTFMYBEEROHNO!

ghostofdavid said:
Thanks, community, for your help. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOMGWTFMYBEEROHNO!

I've got to say, I definitely laughed when I read that.

The kinds of scratches that you might (though probably didn't) make in the glass are nothing to worry about. They're visible because the glass is clear, and so even a slight change in the refraction of light is noticeable. Basically, it's not going to be something that will harbor nasties. Brew on! :rockin:

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHRDWHAHBOR2OR6

To paraphrase what someone cheezy said around here, stop storing a pissed off cat in your carboys, and this wouldn't happen. :D It's possible those are hairline fractures in the carboy neck. I've seen a few of those in my carboys. Depending on the severity of them, either its nothing to worry about, or they're bound to explode on you any second. Well what I'm trying to say is don't pick your carboys up by the neck, and they're fine.

Try a 24 hour soak in some oxiclean(free if you can get it). It never ceases to amaze me at the nasty crud this stuff can remove from carboys.

It's really, really hard to scratch glass. It's probably just streaks of crud from cleaning. I'd give it a soak and see what happens.

I am hoping that they aren't hairline fractures waiting to explode in my hands just waiting to kill women and children.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll be brewing in no time and if I start typing on the forums and it looks like this:

"thx gyz fur ur advic now i can luv beer too"

It isn't becaus I'm wasted, it's because I only have one hand from an exploded carboy. Or because I'm wasted.

I need to get some oxyclean stat.

What I did already is use some cleaner and have soaked the carboy over night.

Latest posts

Back