Scratches on Inside of Glass Carboy...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crawlspacestudios

Reaction score
So I just noticed this last time that two of my carboys have some small scratches on the inside of them, from the bristle brush that I clean them with. After every brew, I PBW them and store them away after that. Before I put wort in there, I will soak in Star San. However, I am slightly worried that with those scratches in there, I might need to replace them? Will the PBW and StarSan be enough to keep it clean? Thanks in advance!!

if you glass is scratched, replace it. not just from a biological stand point, but for safety reasons. scratched glass becomes broken glass. to be sure if it's scratches in the glass or scratches in deposits, use a vinegar soak. bristles on a carboy brush shouldn't scratch glass.

glass haters: don't turn this into another "if you use glass, you're dumb" thread. he have too many.

if you glass is scratched, replace it. not just from a biological stand point, but for safety reasons. scratched glass becomes broken glass. to be sure if it's scratches in the glass or scratches in deposits, use a vinegar soak. bristles on a carboy brush shouldn't scratch glass.

glass haters: don't turn this into another "if you use glass, you're dumb" thread. he have too many.

Ok gotcha! Thanks! It is not the bristles on the brush doing it, it seems that after a few uses, the bristles get pushed down to one side of the brush, and I try to get them back up, but it never seems to work and the metal will always scratch the inside slightly(now I know) :/ I have never debated using plastic, but after losing two of these glass ones I am a little bummed haha.

Ok gotcha! Thanks! It is not the bristles on the brush doing it, it seems that after a few uses, the bristles get pushed down to one side of the brush, and I try to get them back up, but it never seems to work and the metal will always scratch the inside slightly(now I know) :/ I have never debated using plastic, but after losing two of these glass ones I am a little bummed haha.

plastic just might be the way to go for you. but if you can swing it, I recommend a stainless conical. I got the 14 gallon heated/cooled one from morebeer.com when I was still making pipe welding wages. lagers in the summer, ales in the winter, and 11 gallon batches with no problem!

Yup like Billy said replace it..They have SS brew buckets now not as awesome as a heating/cooling conical but will last a lifetime..Yo billy i got a question..i have a brew kettle i want to weld the threaded nipple in place what kind of solder or material should i use? i have never welded before..your expertise would be helpful

Yup like Billy said replace it..They have SS brew buckets now not as awesome as a heating/cooling conical but will last a lifetime..Yo billy i got a question..i have a brew kettle i want to weld the threaded nipple in place what kind of solder or material should i use? i have never welded before..your expertise would be helpful

Well that sums it up I think. Thanks guys! I really appreciate your input on this:mug:

if you're talking solder, I don't know. but I would find someone handy with TIG and weld that bad boy in. just because I'm a little biased with the welding. :D

Back