Starting from scratch again. advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tedzap

Reaction score
After 25 years I have decided to get back into brewing. I want to do things different this time around, like going all grain/kegging instead of extract/bottles.

A good thing about my situation is that I am mostly setting up "from scratch" and not trying to decide whether to upgrade something. I am hoping to avoid buying anything that will become obsolete to me down the road. A guy can dream, right? What I currently have:

(1) 60 quart stainless steel pot ($25 on craigslist)
(1) BevAir BM23 kegerator
(1) jockey box (came with the BM23)
(2) CO2 tanks, regulators
(1) hydrometer
(1) post type corny keg, with 4 more ordered
(1) mark2 keg/carboy/line washer

Earlier in the week I was fortunate enough to spend a few hours with a local homebrewer. He shared several of his fine lagers while showing me his tidy brewing setup. I hope to be as proud of my gear. He used to have a big multi kettle setup but sold it and now has a Grainfather (GF).

I liked what I saw and ordered a Grainfather, and have now directed my thoughts to fermentation. It has been pleasant to see that many home brewers are extending the primary fermentation and skipping the secondary altogether. Great! One less thing to clean going primary -> keg.

I know that the GF is geared to brew 5 gallon batches, but I am wondering if I should buy a bigger fermenter. I fully expect that when I nail a "red seal ale" clone then I would want to go to 10 gallon batches.

I have been looking at the SS Brewtech products, they seem to be very good for their price point. My current thinking is that I should get a couple of the 5g "brew buckets" and get a 14 gallon chronical when I am ready to go bigger.

Is there anyone who would recommend something different? It seems to me that the "brew buckets" would always be useful. They also would fit in a glass fronted can cooler I have.

Should I consider getting a 7g chronical instead of a two brew buckets? Should I skip right to the 14g chronical?

Somewhere around here I have the Joy of HomeBrewing. The local guy recommended Miller's "Brewing like a Pro". I downloaded it and started it last night. Any other recommended readings?

Thanks for the input!
-Ted

Last edited by a moderator:
Start with the 5 to 7 gallon fermenters first. Difficult to move anything bigger than that. 5 gallons of wort is over 50 lbs.

I've never used buckets and always use closed fermenters. I'm still using fermenters from 35 years ago. I recently bought a 6.5 gallon 'Big Mouth Bubbler' and find it is pretty good;; you can see what is going on, and is really easy to clean.

For a general book, I'd recommend 'Yeast' by White and Zainasheff. After that, it really depend on what type of beer you want to brew; I've found most of the better books are more style specific. Palmer is good for overall process.

Welcome back, you will find things have changed a lot. I stopped for 7 years, and when I started again (about 5 years ago), I was amazed at the changes that had been made in the hobby. The internet has made it easy to access a lot more information, and forums such as this have challenged the old ways and wives tales, and made huge changes in accepted methods.

I decided to go with a couple of the ssbrewtech brew buckets. Went by a local supply store and picked up grain and hops for two recipes (red seal ale and Newcastle clones).

The local brewer offered for me to bring my gear over and he would supervise me with the first batch. That would be nice and I could figure out all the little things I am missing. If I do this can I transport the batch in the fermenter, or should I leave it there?

Last year I treaded myself to a 7.9 gallon SS Fusti container - http://thevintnervault.com/product/2881/Fusti-30-liter.html

It is great for my needs. I only brew 5 gallons but like hefeweizen, so the extra head space is useful. I drilled a hole in the lid for an airlock and it was good to go. No inside welds and comes with a SS spigot. It also fits well in my wine fridge fermenter.

It should be the last fermenter I will ever need.

Back