Only FWH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kralizec

Reaction score
I recently brewed a 5% normal stout.

Just wondering if beers which only have bittering hop additions would have any ill effects if all the hops were just FWH instead of when its brought to a boil.

Anyone ever done this?

I read that one shouldn't FWH more than 20-25% of the total hop bill.

I recently brewed a 5% normal stout.

Just wondering if beers which only have bittering hop additions would have any ill effects if all the hops were just FWH instead of when its brought to a boil.

Anyone ever done this?

I read that one shouldn't FWH more than 20-25% of the total hop bill.

I use FWH for all of my bittering hops in nearly all of my beers with great results. Just did a Dry Stout with EKGs as FWH as the only addition and worked out well. Very, very slight hop aroma but almost not noticeable. Clean bittering.

I use FWH for all of my bittering hops in nearly all of my beers with great results. Just did a Dry Stout with EKGs as FWH as the only addition and worked out well. Very, very slight hop aroma but almost not noticeable. Clean bittering.

That's interesting; I thought one of the major benefits of a FWH is that aroma and flavor are retained, as well as the bittering being smoother. Do you have any idea why the aroma/flavor aren't making it through in your case? How long are your hops steeping pre-boil?

That's interesting; I thought one of the major benefits of a FWH is that aroma and flavor are retained, as well as the bittering being smoother. Do you have any idea why the aroma/flavor aren't making it through in your case? How long are your hops steeping pre-boil?

They make it through to some extent. It's not as strong as late hopping in my experience. My runoff is typically 45 minutes or more. There *is* some hop aroma in this, but the aroma is mostly from roast. Also depends on the hop. If you use a really pungent, strong hop like Chinook or Amarillo it's more evident. If you want a lot of aroma, you shouldn't use *just* FWH. You also need some late additions.

Ah, yes I used 2 ounces of tettnanger. the AA was around 4.2 I believe.

It is a noble hop and so it seemed like an appropriate pseudo-bittering hop.

All the other times I have FWH it was with only some of the total hop bill...but I am definately excited to taste this one.

Back