One night in Portland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Photopilot

Reaction score
I am traveling solo and have one night in Portland. I am looking for a suggested brew pub with good food and beer that is easy to get to on the MAX from pdx.

Wow, You can get to so many. Widmer's is good, right next to their brewery. If you have a smart phone and the MAX app, you are all set. Where are you staying.

Wow, You can get to so many. Widmer's is good, right next to their brewery. If you have a smart phone and the MAX app, you are all set. Where are you staying.

Courtyard by Marriott Pdx.

I was about to loose motivation and eat at the hotel but now I'll download the app and strike out in search of options.

The MAX in Portland was great, If you have Google Map on your phone, it will take you anywhere.

Too late I just ate in the hotel.

Not sure which is more telling that after a very long day I contemplated spending 2 hours on public transportation for a beer or that I am too old and lazy to do so.

You're probably already out and about but a few recommendations anyway. If you're willing to hop off the Max and grab a bus, cab or walk a bit you might head for Base Camp, Green Dragon, Cascade Barrel House or Burnside Brewing. With the exception of Burnside, they are within a few blocks of each other. Not to mention a few other cool options in the neighborhood (Roadside Attraction). Good luck, have a blast!

Since i did not get out to explore the breweries I was able to get up early and shoot the sunrise at PDX. Hopefully there is a next time soon and will head straight to Deschutes. I have always been a big fan.

IMG_8698_HDR.JPG

:rolleyes:
Since i did not get out to explore the breweries I was able to get up early and shoot the sunrise at PDX. Hopefully there is a next time soon and will head straight to Deschutes. I have always been a big fan.

Whoopty doo :rolleyes:

You're probably already out and about but a few recommendations anyway. If you're willing to hop off the Max and grab a bus, cab or walk a bit you might head for Base Camp, Green Dragon, Cascade Barrel House or Burnside Brewing. With the exception of Burnside, they are within a few blocks of each other. Not to mention a few other cool options in the neighborhood (Roadside Attraction). Good luck, have a blast!

I know of several people that have gotten sick from Green Dragon's food. Used to be a spot I recommended. Not anymore though.

I know of several people that have gotten sick from Green Dragon's food. Used to be a spot I recommended. Not anymore though.

I've only been twice and both times we had really slow service. Actually, we were overlooked both times. Not that we were in a huge hurry, but it was a little uncomfortable and strange. I keep meaning to go give them another shot but I'll keep the food issue in mind if we do return. Thanks for the heads up.

My wife and I are some of the people who have gotten sick from Green Dragon's food. Not once, but multiple times over several years. Not going to give them any more chances, instead we'll just drink the beer:)
They have lots of taps and support the Oregon Brew Crew, so gotta give them some cheers, though,

If you like Sours you should check out Cascade Brewing they do exclusively sours and have been for quite a while and make some amazing ones.

Its right around the corner from Green Dragon. They also have good food, that wont get you sick.

If you want a very Portland hipster beer experience go to Bailey's taphouse. Its not right on the max, about a 15 min walk from the nearest station. They have like 30 taps always cycling through a lot of the good local breweries.

If you like Sours you should check out Cascade Brewing they do exclusively sours and have been for quite a while and make some amazing ones.

Its right around the corner from Green Dragon. They also have good food, that wont get you sick.

If you want a very Portland hipster beer experience go to Bailey's taphouse. Its not right on the max, about a 15 min walk from the nearest station. They have like 30 taps always cycling through a lot of the good local breweries.

Not just sours, they generally always have an IPA, a pale, and a stout on tap in addition to their sours. Here's their current taplist:
http://www.cascadebrewingbarrelhouse.com/?p=beer

Great brewpub and brewery, great place to visit when in Portland for more than a few hours.

I like the folks at Base camp brewing, good vibe going on there.

For downtown tho, Deschutes and Rogue

Take the yellow max to North Portland and get off at Killingsworth. You will be coming from the downtown side so if you take a right on Killingsworth you will find Saraveza on your right. If you take a left on Killingsworth you will find the Hope and Vine. Both of these are great places, Saraveza has a better bottle and draft selection, but it's a bit more money. If you are going up the way of Green Dragon, I suggest skipping it and going across the street to Cascade and then stumble down a few blocks to The Commons. Finally, my favorite beer bar, and one of the best in the country, is Apex in SE. It's not too close to a Max line, but I would say well worth a cab ride, Beer Mongers is right next door too. Have fun!!!

Latest posts

Back