One more question about sodium benzoate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinDuluth

Reaction score
If my cider wouldn't start because there was sodium benzoate in it, is the yeast sediment in the bottom of the carboy still viable to try and start with another batch or is it shot now? I'm learning far more about sodium benzoate then I would prefer:drunk:

I have no idea, to be honest! But, why wouldn't it be? is my first thought. I mean, the juice has preservatives, so it won't ferment. But, if the yeast is pulled out of there, and added to fresh juice, even if some preservatives are in the lees, there should be enough "dilution" with the fresh juice to overcome that.

That's just my thoughts on it- I really don't know the effect of sodium benzoate on yeast. It could work like sorbate, and inhibit reproduct of yeast, too.

One thing to do is to try just a little of the lees with a little apple juice, to see what happens before another batch of juice is wasted.

Yeah, I saw in my midwest brewing supply catalogue where they were selling sodium benzoate for wine makers to stop fermentation prior to bottleing so that wasn't good news. I'll have to try transferring the bad cider out and see if I can make a starter with the yeast sediment.

Back