One Happy Man

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doggage

Reaction score
Well, after building and selling three kegerators to support my hobby, I have my own perfect kegerator. Plus SWMBO's happy that the hobby is supporting itself (so far!).

img_01143.jpg

There's one thing I'd like to fix. The door seal gasket was replaced by the fridge's previous owner and it looks like crap and lets a little condensation in. I'd like to replace it with a nice new gasket, but they're way out of the budget online. Is there a cheaper alternative?

Can't help with your question, but just wanted to say congrats - its a great idea to build and sell the kegerators to underwrite your brewing! Plus, I love the old, retro-look of that fridge - I prefer it to a new, store-bought kegerator. Outstanding, Doggage!

Thanks. After building two out of fridges and one out of a chest freezer, I'd have to say that I still prefer the convenience and look of a refrigerator. If I were keeping it in the garage, I might use a chest freezer, but this baby's going in the kitchen where I can show it off.

Love those old fridges. I'm teh opposite though (except maybe with the retor fridge) If it's for the garage, give me and upright with the tap in the door for convenience, but for inside the house, a properly done keezer is the only way to go.

Curious what you sold the kegerators for and what you had in them? They are definitely easy enough to build for a quick profit!!

That's a sweet looking fridge. For your gasket problem, I don't know if this could help you but it really helped me:

Get yourself some Right Stuff. It's a liquid gasket that sets in no time at all and lasts a loooooong time. Used it recently on the water pump intake in my truck... I slapped it on, sealed everything up and was driving 5 minutes later :D

As much as I loved my four-tap keezer when it was inside, I just didn't like it in the house. For one thing, the taps were so low that my dog could lick them. With this one inside I won't have to worry about faucet caps/plugs. I also wasn't crazy about lifting the kegs up into the chest freezer. I also prefer a chest freezer outside because it's so efficient and stays cool for so long without having to kick on, compared to a fridge, which kicks on constantly in this Kansas heat.

For a couple of them I had about 300 in them and got 650 out. For one I put about 150 in and got 350. Not bad for a few hours of work and just reading up on here. Without the classifieds on this forum and all the how-to's I couldn't have done it as well or cheaply.

nice profit, I'd like to score some fridges from C's List and just use cheapie chrome faucets. My money back +$50 would make it worth it.

Thank you! And thank you for the faucet. It was the perfect piece to complete this project. I love it! Plus I can fit a stopper over the faucet and bottle directly from the faucet. It's great.

By the way Irregular, I think you might find that a $50 profit might not be worth the carting around and other labor involved, unless you could make a few and make it up on volume. If you have a dolly and trailer, that might be a different story. For me, all the borrowing of that kind of crap and all the work (not least of all trying to convince SWMBO that I can actually make money on a kegerator) just isn't worth it for $50. I didn't actually set out to make such a profit but two out of three that I sold were to people who had plenty of cash and just didn't want the hassle of gathering all the corny kegs, tubing, etc. They were willing to pay and I was certainly willing to sell at those prices. Okay, I'm on my second Torpedo after a long evening of painting so I've probably typed much too long and I'll stop.......now.

Back