Omega Star Party so far

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aukebaybrewing

Reaction score
I've been searching for experiences with Star Party but since it's a fairly new-on-the-market yeast I haven't seen much. I've got a NEIPA in the CF15 crashing now and I have to tell ya... I'm not too excited about this beer. To pre-qualify... I primarily make Belgians and NEIPA's so I have a fair idea of what I like and how to get there but the "Thiolized 05" sounded more interesting than my mixture of safale 04/06/T58 which I normally use (which is killer by the way). The beer has a strange "piney" lime-aid flavor to it which to me is NOT tropical but more out of place in a Hazy. Now in transparency, I've used all New Zealand hops here and I know Waimea is pretty piney/limey so okay but the rest are very tropical. Even the 3L starter smelled of this flavor I'm speaking of. Also, the beer is about 5 SRM. much "browner" than my normal beer and there has been ZERO contact with O2. Maybe the malted oats I used this time?

Grain Bill (none over 2.8L supposedly)

27lb Golden Promise
3lb Malted Oats (Fawcett)
3lb Weyermann Wheat Malt
8oz Acid Malt

Hops (only a 10 min addition the rest were WP@170F and 2 dry hop additions one during fermentation and one after)

4oz Cascade (mash hop for extra Thiols)
Waimea
Vic Secret
Rakau
Wai-iti
Motueka

I'm not too worried about the SRM of the beer but the strange flavor. I'll probably not use Star Party again as I'm not too impressed. However, that may change if I hear different reviews over time with different ingredients. I've got 10 gallons of this stuff so I hope it changes but I'm not confident. Looking for other experiences as I was pretty stoked to get a pack and try it. What is bothering me is that my starter produced the same nose and flavor as I'm tasting in the beer which I really do not like. I've never smelled a starter and thought... "eww... did I get infected or do something wrong?" Starter took off like a bat outta hell and finished in a day though. DEFINITELY not presenting as a child of S-05 to me but maybe that is the point with the Thiolized thing.

Scott~

I don't know anything about that yeast strain, but a few years ago I made a NEIPA using a tried-and-true grain bill, fermented with 1318, and hopped with Wai-iti, Motueka, and a bit of Wakatu. It was awful. It was all lime and cilantro (I HATE cilantro). The hop combo definitely ruined it. I gave away what I could and dumped the rest. Could that be part of your issue?

I've been searching for experiences with Star Party but since it's a fairly new-on-the-market yeast I haven't seen much.
[much omitted]
Well I came here hoping someone that tried Omega "Star Party" and had a positive experience. I'm planning to brew "Pliny the Elder" on Friday. I have other yeast I can use. Last time I used Cellar Science "Cali", which is less than 1/2 the price and it was awesome. I have a couple packs of that, but I was also excited about Star Party after watching CB&B video presentation with Laura Burns of Omega. I was very impressed with her and the video. I hate to deviate from what works but...

I never thought of Star Party as being geared towards a NEIPA. That's really what Cosmic Punch is all about. Star Party is more about the crossover tropical side of a West Coast IPA. With both of the thiolized strains, if you're not looking for tropical flavors, skip it.

I wasn't looking for tropical flavors. that wouldn't go well with Pliny. I just wanted to enhance the hop flavors in the recipe. I'm all setup to brew in the morning and I'm using Cellar Science Cali. It was really good last time and no sense in fooling with success.

Sorry for the radio silence on this post as the OP I was out of town for some time (which allowed the beer to fully attenuate without me poking at it like I tend to do). Yep the beer is finished and 7 days in the keg and still sub-optimal in terms of flavor but some of the water tweaks resulted in me getting dialed in for the creamy mouthfeel @ 1.014 which had been eluding me at that FG so all is not lost. I also used malted oats so that may be playing on that mouthfeel too. All in all, I think @hopjuice_71 and @Bobby_M probably nailed the problem with the beer. So two factors... mainly this hop combo is horrible (live and learn) and this yeast, after much more research, is not geared toward a NEIPA as @Bobby_M mentioned. I bet this yeast really adds to a nice West Coast IPA. I remember even the starter smelled "different" like it had hops in it but certainly was just DME. The yeast, if used properly with a known grain bill and known hop combo (or just not the hops that I chose anyway) will more than likely shine. Back to the drawing board. Thanks everybody for the input!

Scott~

Thanks for the follow-up. If it's the Chico strain then, yeah, it might be geared more towards the beers that would normally use that yeast. It could be interesting in some SMaSH beers... or at least single hopped. See what it does to the likes of Cascade, Centennial, and so on.

Curious if anyone else has used the yeast and can comment? I've got a few beers in queue already, I may try this eventually but it'll be a while.

Terpene Dream
Looked up the recipe - crazy!

• 1 oz Nugget – Boil 90 min
• 1 oz Columbus – Boil last 10 min
• 1 oz Galena – Boil last 5 min
• 1 oz Amarillo® – Add at flameout/0 minutes
• 1 oz Simcoe® – Add at flameout/0 minutes
• 1 oz Cascade – Whirlpool 30 min
• 1 oz Citra® – Whirlpool 30 min
• 1 oz Motueka – Whirlpool 30 min
• 1 oz Nelson – Dry hops, added on day 3 of fermentation
• 1 oz Galaxy – Dry hops, added on day 3 of fermentation
• 1 oz Strata – Dry hops, added on day 3 of fermentation
• 1 oz Nelson – Dry hops, added post fermentation 3 days before packaging
• 1 oz Galaxy – Dry hops, added post fermentation 3 days before packaging
• 1 oz Strata – Dry hops, added post fermentation 3 days before packaging

I have made it Terpene Dream three time already and I love it! I would describe it as juicy IPA. More so than most NEIPA. Previous times I used Lallemand New England yeast. Thought I’d mix it up with Star party.

I've used this yeast twice. I've used it on a cali common, which I mashed hopped with cascade. The flavor and aroma was intense guava with some dankness. It was way too much at first but the guava has really settled down, took about a month. The guava yeast character didn't work that well with the crystal 60 I used. This batch was a split batch with us05, and I preferred the us05 version.

More recently I did a split batch of gose with it, no mash hop this time. The fruity guava wasn't as intense, but worked really well with the sourness and coriander. I preferred it over the half fermented with lutra. I'm hoping the fruityness hangs around a bit longer for this batch.

Looked up the recipe - crazy!

• 1 oz Nugget – Boil 90 min
• 1 oz Columbus – Boil last 10 min
• 1 oz Galena – Boil last 5 min
• 1 oz Amarillo® – Add at flameout/0 minutes
• 1 oz Simcoe® – Add at flameout/0 minutes
• 1 oz Cascade – Whirlpool 30 min
• 1 oz Citra® – Whirlpool 30 min
• 1 oz Motueka – Whirlpool 30 min
• 1 oz Nelson – Dry hops, added on day 3 of fermentation
• 1 oz Galaxy – Dry hops, added on day 3 of fermentation
• 1 oz Strata – Dry hops, added on day 3 of fermentation
• 1 oz Nelson – Dry hops, added post fermentation 3 days before packaging
• 1 oz Galaxy – Dry hops, added post fermentation 3 days before packaging
• 1 oz Strata – Dry hops, added post fermentation 3 days before packaging
I wonder if the the yeast character will be able to shine through that many hops. I haven't used starparty with anything hoppy yet.

I wonder if the the yeast character will be able to shine through that many hops. I haven't used starparty with anything hoppy yet.

The point of thiolized yeast is to accentuate/boost the tropical aroma and flavors of New World, IPA style hops. It's just my opinion but I think using it for non hoppy beers is like putting a hefeweizen yeast into an ESB and noting that it has a weird banana and clove thing.

The point of thiolized yeast is to accentuate/boost the tropical aroma and flavors of New World, IPA style hops. It's just my opinion but I think using it for non hoppy beers is like putting a hefeweizen yeast into an ESB and noting that it has a weird banana and clove thing.

When using a new ingredient I like to keep things pretty simple so I can see what it adds. I think this yeast can be used in non-hoppy or hoppy beer. I just like having a baseline.

As to this specific yeast in hoppy beers, I think the beer is going to evolve rapidly, as I don't find the thiolizes maintain their intensity. I don't know if anyone else has had this same experience.

It's just my opinion but I think using it for non hoppy beers is like putting a hefeweizen yeast into an ESB and noting that it has a weird banana and clove thing.

You've not had beer from Hanlons then.... A trad British brewery whose house yeast seems to be some kind of hefe/saison strain, their beers are known for banana and are presumably the source of Brewlab's Devon-1 strain "Moderate to high ester flavours giving a banana aroma. Light phenolic flavours may be produced."

Of course if you listen to US yeast labs, then you'd think all British yeasts are non-phenolic and low attenuation....

Going back vaguely on topic, I was talking to one of the breweries that are playing with thiol release here in the UK, which means no transgenic yeast. One thing they've been doing is 30% maize in the grist, the theory being that reducing FAN levels stresses the yeast and improves thiol release. Even with transgenic yeast, it might be worth using lower-nitrogen malts (like British ones) and/or adding maize to dilute out the FAN?

You've not had beer from Hanlons then.... A trad British brewery whose house yeast seems to be some kind of hefe/saison strain, their beers are known for banana and are presumably the source of Brewlab's Devon-1 strain "Moderate to high ester flavours giving a banana aroma. Light phenolic flavours may be produced."

Of course if you listen to US yeast labs, then you'd think all British yeasts are non-phenolic and low attenuation....

Going back vaguely on topic, I was talking to one of the breweries that are playing with thiol release here in the UK, which means no transgenic yeast. One thing they've been doing is 30% maize in the grist, the theory being that reducing FAN levels stresses the yeast and improves thiol release. Even with transgenic yeast, it might be worth using lower-nitrogen malts (like British ones) and/or adding maize to dilute out the FAN?

I was not suggesting that I wouldn't like banana in an ESB, or actually commenting on that as a possibility. It was just a metaphor to represent using a product that was designed for specific thing and then commenting that it doesn't do a different thing.

I just tapped a pale ale that I did with Star Party and am generally pleased with the results. Grain bill was 84% Golden Promise, 8% light Munich, and 8% C60 with an OG of 1.056.

Hops were all Cascade T-90. Scott Janish wrote about mash-hopping at a rate of up to two pounds per bbl. Two would make a really bitter beer, though, so I opted for one (3.6 oz. for my seven-gallon batch). Pellets were loose (no bag) and I had no issues whatsoever with my lauter or sparge.

Omega estimates that mash hopping produces about 30% of the bitterness you'd otherwise achieve by adding that mass of hops at the start of the boil. And based on my result, I'm inclined to agree with their assessment. This would've given me a shade over 20 IBU, which is what I was targeting anyway for the start of the boil, so I just skipped my normal bittering charge altogether. I also added 1.7 oz. at 30 minutes, and 2 oz. at flameout.

Oxygenated with 1L through a sintered stone and then pitched my starter at 65F. Capped fermentation temperature at 68F and let it go for two weeks. Kegged and force-carbonated.

Thiols are definitely pronounced. Strong (but pleasant) grapefruit, tangerine, mango, and papaya character. I'll definitely be brewing this again, but probably dial back the Munich and C60. I like those with regular Chico, but found them somewhat distracting here.

Last edited:
I did a split batch with Star Party and Flagship and have to say, though it's only been in the keg for 10 days, there's a HUGE difference between the 2. Night and day. Both are quality beers but the Star Party beer isn't nearly as aromatic as expected and the taste is truthfully, way too tropical fruit on steroids and so far, I only want about a half pour and then it gets to be too much.
I am expecting it to moderate a bit but I can't say I'm stoked. Maybe I need to be a bit more simple on the recipe but it was pretty simple. First time mash hopping too!

I have a WCIPA fermenting now with Star Party. I used 1oz each of Motueka and Wai-iti in the mash because I had them lying around... but yeah, big lime when I cracked open the fermenter to have a peak on day 2 (wasn't sure if it had started yet). This my first time mash hopping as well. Had a bit of a stuck mash at first, but stirring helped.
Another thing, when I did a starter, it really took off and pushed out the top of the flask, ejecting a bit of the slurry. First time that happened with any starter I've done.

"Another thing, when I did a starter, it really took off and pushed out the top of the flask, ejecting a bit of the slurry. First time that happened with any starter I've done."
I almost forgot......the exact same thing happened to me. Was a big mess but I was prepared for it.

"Another thing, when I did a starter, it really took off and pushed out the top of the flask, ejecting a bit of the slurry. First time that happened with any starter I've done."
I almost forgot......the exact same thing happened to me. Was a big mess but I was prepared for it.
I just checked gravity after 5 days and it appears to be stalled at 1.050... bubbling has stopped. If it doesn't drop more in the next couple of days I'll need to pitch something else to get it going again. The only yeast I have on hand that would be close is either Cosmic Punch, SO-4 or Voss kveik... not sure which to use...

Well, Star Party is a chico yeast so it might be best to use US05 of equal. I'm not sure I'd want to add more thiol at this time but who knows.
Maybe try some yeast nutrient and see if that moves it along.

Long time lurker, first time poster. You know the story....

I'm breaking radio silence to share that I just brewed the tropical West Coast IPA of my dreams using Omega Star Party and Phantasm powder! Grain bill and hop schedule listed below for a 5.5G all grain batch.

To be fair, I just carb'd up this weekend and we're enjoying the first few pours. So far? Amazing. Complex fruity character with minimal bitterness--just what I was looking for! I will report back as the batch ages to share longer term impressions.

Grain bill
8 lb Pale 2-Row
4 lb Maris Otter
2 lb Vienna
8 oz CaraPils

Mash
2 oz Cascade leaf in Mash
Single infusion @ 151*F

Hops, etc.
0.25 oz Summit (18.7%) for 60 min
0.70 oz each Citra (12.8%) and Mosaic (11.7%) for 5 min
1.00 oz Phantasm powder at flameout
1.00 oz each Mosaic (11.7%) and Nelson Sauvin (11.1%) Whirlpool @ 180*F for 10 min

Process note
Pitched a starter of Omega Star Party (just because my pack was 4 months old)
Fermented pretty warm (~70*F) for 10 days
Soft crashed to ~50*F over 2 days
Short 2-day dry hop* with 0.50 oz Summit (18.7%) + 1.00 oz Nelson (11.7%) + 0.30 oz Mosaic (11.7%)

*I read somewhere that dry hopping could strip some of the thiols. By soft crashing and lowering my dry hops to around half of my typical load, I intended to minimize this known issue.

Latest posts

Back