Old Yeast Recommendation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlassForest

Reaction score
Hello everybody! I just made an IPA out of leftover hops from my freezer. Now I'm cleaning out my fridge and I have found three old vials of White Labs Yeast! Two vials of WLP 036, Dusseldorf Alt Yeast and one vial of WLP 029, German Ale/Kolsch Yeast. They are all three expired for several years, as far as the "use by" date.

The Dusseldorf yeasts are stamped, august 2011 and July 2011.
The Kolsch yeast is stamped July 2011.

I am thinking of blending the three together and making a 1 liter starter and then to let it go for 2-3 days before I pitch... Any recommendations on this? Possible yeast characteristic from a blend of the two? Anybody think the yeast inside is completely dead? I suppose I don't want to waste a brew day on a yeast pitch if there's no viability left!

I figure I'd check me malty's yeast calculator but before I do see what you all thought! Cheers! :mug:

Start with a low gravity starter, like 1.020, around 250-500ml. I'm curious what it does. Not sure to blend them though, they have different optima and flavor characteristics.

Thanks for the advice and recommendations. I only have one stir plate but maybe I'll make two starters with some mason jars I have lying around. I'm thinking a 500ml starter for the Kolsch yeast and then a liter starter for the two Dusseldorf Yeast vials.

I suppose since the yeast is old I'll keep the OG to 1.020-30 unlike my normal yeasts starters. I'll keep you guys updated whether they take or not!

Thanks again for advice :fro:

I'd treat them like you would when harvesting from a bottle. Start very small, with a good three steps to a 1.040 starter.

Back