Old stoner with Brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin476

Reaction score
So I brewed this a month or so ago and didnt exactly hit my volumes and also it finished at 1.028 ish. I know its going to take quite some time to improve the flavor but Im thinking of throwing in some WY5112 Brett B. I have tried several of the brews Anchorage Brewing has done with Brett and love them, what do you guys think? I have never had a barleywine with brett. :mug:

could be interesting, i'd give it a go. be prepared to let this bad boy sit for several months before bottling, if you bottle. at 1.028 the brett will have a lot to munch through.

I would not pitch the brett, depending on the OG 1.028 could be slightly high but i like my barleywines sweet almost cloying sometimes. I feel as it adds more to the style.
Also watch your hop schedule and make sure you dont end up with a bitter mess

I would not pitch the brett, depending on the OG 1.028 could be slightly high but i like my barleywines sweet almost cloying sometimes. I feel as it adds more to the style.
Also watch your hop schedule and make sure you dont end up with a bitter mess
two very good points:
1) the product likely won't be close to a barley wine anymore. it will likely be tasty and interesting, but don't expect a BW's characteristic sweetness, mouthfeel, etc.
2) BWs, especially american style BWs, are often heavily hopped and brett flavors can clash with heavy hops, IMO (then again i think that belgian yeast and hops clash, yet begian IPAs are quite popular with some folks so there you go...)

I'd use brett c over brett b. Brett b can be pretty intense, not sure how I feel about an orval style bw. Or trois now that it's going year round, still have some Avery 15 bottles and the flavors aging very nicely.

Back