Old Schlitz ad circa 1920

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is so great! What a cool find! I'm not sure why this was printed either... Prohibition started 1/17/20 and this article is from 6/3/20... That is so strange, this might have been one of the last Schlitz ads during prohibition. I wonder what the legality of beer advertising was during prohibition?

It must be advertising non-alcoholic Schlitz, which because of prohibition, was the only version available so there was no need to clarify in the ad.

Amazingly enough, there were a lot of home brew shops running during prohibition. A ton of brewing supplies were sold during the time. I discuss this in one of my books.

I received as a gift a really high-quality print of this ad. It came from page 21 of the July 22, 1920, issue the Spokane Daily Chronicle.

This is HBT gold right here. I want to frame this advert and keep it in my man cave!

I just watched something on the history channel about prohibition, most if not all breweries started selling malt extract with a warning label on it. something to the effect of "caution, do not boil for 1 hour and add x amount of hops and add yeast after cooled because this product could produce an intoxicating beverage".:p

I received as a gift a really high-quality print of this ad. It came from page 21 of the July 22, 1920, issue the Spokane Daily Chronicle.

Ask the gift-giver where they got it! I dig it's not exactly the most couth thing to do; but let them know there are a bunch of people on HBT who want to know!

Ask the gift-giver where they got it! I dig it's not exactly the most couth thing to do; but let them know there are a bunch of people on HBT who want to know!

No worries. They just called the Spokesman-Review, which is used to be the Spokane Daily Chronicle. I bet it's a small enough place that the archivist will remember.

No worries. They just called the Spokesman-Review, which is used to be the Spokane Daily Chronicle. I bet it's a small enough place that the archivist will remember.

Hey, I started looking around after I saw your post in the What did Santa bring thread yesterday. So far I've found this, which seems to be a high res scan which seems to be your image; however it looks like yours was retouched prior to being printed?

Do you know if they got a better copy from the Spokesman-Review or if they did the retouching themselves? Either way, that's a great image and a very cool print, one heck of a gift!

Definitely did not retouch it themselves. (Long story - I saw the shipping label and it came directly from the newspaper and it is printed on photo paper!) I bet there's someone at the Spokesman-Review who did it.

Dude, look at the state of that bridge.
That's us man. That's us...
The Schlitz bridge is clearly of higher quality.
I'm giving up the hobby.
Starting needle point!
And you guys got your panties in a bunch over the ab super bowl commercial.

Here's the same ad in another paper:

http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth137685/m1/5/high_res/

It's so horrible it's awesome.

So I finally got around to snatching this image, cropping and printing it and building a frame for it. It's hanging in my brewery as fair warning to all who enter.;)

Beware.jpg

Apparently "green beer" causes "biliousness." Huh.

Schlitz-Beer.jpg

I don't want to suffer from excess bile production! I'd better drink only Schlitz!

Back