Old Brewer - New Passion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 304622

Reaction score
Hello All,

I've been a home brewer for about 12 years now. I've stayed pretty safe with my brews mostly consisting of ales and stouts. My main focus has been developing a smooth, deep and rich stout. I feel like because I have focused on just those brews I haven't learned much about brewing as a whole and I was hoping I could get suggestions about what books I can start to read to get into the overall science of brewing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I live in close proximity to UC Davis which has a brewers program that I was reading about and considering taking their online certificate program. Any thoughts or experience with this would also be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

SlikWilly

I live in close proximity to UC Davis which has a brewers program that I was reading about and considering taking their online certificate program. Any thoughts or experience with this would also be greatly appreciated.

I imagine UC Davis has an excellent program. It should be, for what it costs!

Personally, I can recommend "Beer, the Science of Brewing" from KU Leuven (via EDX). It's currently $99, or free if you don't want the piece of paper at the end. Perhaps you could test the waters with that, before committing to a $13K program.

https://www.edx.org/course/beer-the-science-of-brewing

Look into the four book series:

Malt, by John Mallet
Hops, by Stan Hieronymus
Water: by John Palmer and Colin Kaminski
Yeast: by Chris White and Jamil Zainasheff
I believe that you can get the series from Amazon.

Also, one of my favorites: Designing Great Beers, by Ray Daniels

Good luck and enjoy.
BTW: Welcome from Missouri.

With regard to the "brewing elements" series, "The New IPA" (Janish) is a solid 2019 snapshot of hop knowledge. eta: with yeast, processes for creating dry yeast appear to have changed since Yeast was published.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back