First timer grain brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itchyrbuckle

Reaction score
Hi fellow brewers

I have just ordered the Brewzilla Gen4 35ltr. I have been an extract brewer for quite some time and thought it's about time to put on my big boy pants.
What I would really like to know is a simple but good recipe for my first brew. So, if you're reading this and can point me in the right direction that would be great

cheers,
Steve

Look for all grain kits online or at your local home brew shop.

Northern Brewer or more beer have some pretty good looking kits that others have had success with.

Not knowing your beer preference it’s hard to just say … x kit is good go brew it.

Welcome to the big boy pants league rookie! 😂

Hope this helps.

I think something like a blonde or cream ale would be a great intro to all-grain. I really enjoyed Northern Brewer's Cream Ale kit, and no corn or adjuncts are used. And there are some great HBT classics in the recipes section that are easy and people love them, like the Centennial Blonde or EdWort's House Pale Ale.

Cream of 3 crops recipe posted here on hbt is a good starter recipe, simple and rewarding brew especially in the hotter months. One thing to keep in mind when changing to all grain is the crush of the grain, make sure them grains are properly milled for your system, it will help from running into any efficiency issues.
Cheers!

As others have mentioned, start out with a simple recipe all grain kit with a style that appeals to you. Since it's your first try there will be lots to learn. Take good notes while you brew. As you gain confidence you can branch out to more complex kits or building your own recipes.

Good luck!!

As others have mentioned, start out with a simple recipe all grain kit with a style that appeals to you. Since it's your first try there will be lots to learn. Take good notes while you brew. As you gain confidence you can branch out to more complex kits or building your own recipes.

Good luck!!
cheers and thanks for the pointers

Welcome to our forums!
What kind ("style") of beer do you like and would you like to brew?

Looking at the location in your profile, you're in New Zealand. Do you have (easy) access to a good variety of ingredients?

Unless you own a "grain mill" (there are different types) to crush the malts/grain, you want to buy your grain from a place that will mill it for you. Most homebrew suppliers will. Avoid buying grain that may have been pre-milled some time ago and bagged (at some factory), as it stales much faster. Alternatively, if buying unmilled grain/malt is easier, a $25 knockoff Corona style corn mill can "grind" your grain too.

What is your water like? Hard, soft, mineral content? Could it fluctuate much with seasons or rainfall?

Back