Old Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goblism

Reaction score
I had a surly furious clone that I brewed up about 6 months ago. The beer has been sitting in the primary fermentor the entire time as I forgot it in a closet that has been a consistent 60 degrees over the past 6 months. My question is will the beer still be worth the darn? I need to dry hop it yet and don't know if it is worth the hops to dry hop or not.

Looking for opinions

only one way to find out. taste it.

i'm betting yes, especially if it is higher gravity

anyone have experience with this?

It tastes ok but the hop profile is definitely tamed, i do know that non-carbonated beer tastes quite a bit different from carbonated.

What could happen? Infection, oxidation, loss of hop flavor/aroma, in order of heartache. If it is not infected or horribly oxidized, then of course you want to drink it. Load up the dry hops and make it delicious.

Edit: No experience with this, but I believe the logic above is valid regardless.

I guess it should be fine. I think that the airlock would dry out which could leave the beer stale to some degree.
For bottling you'll need some new yeast. If you keg than forgettaboutit.

So lets see, you can drink it or dump it, it's up to you.
Before you dump, please remember the thirsty alcoholics in the area, I'm sure there is a beer kitchen in the area that would accept your donation.:p

It tastes ok but the hop profile is definitely tamed, i do know that non-carbonated beer tastes quite a bit different from carbonated.

I left a dunkelweizen in secondary for two years (forgot about it). The airlock had completely gone dry.

I posted about it here. The most common advice was to try it. I tried it, and it had gone to vinegar. Blech! But, hey, I had my answer.

So, my advice to you is to try it. If it sucks, toss it. If it's good, bottle/keg it.

EDIT: Dolt! I missed that you already tried it! I'd dry hop it for a week or two, then bottle/keg it.

Not here, but...

Kudos on the sanitation regimen :mug:

But it only counts if you save that beer.

Definitely go with the dry hopping, but don't go overboard to make up for the loss of fuller hop flavor notes. They're gone and not coming back. Take what you can get out of this batch.

And buy some Post-It notes...

Cheers! ;)

Back